• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear spring relocation vs exhaust clearance

Mike Brini

Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to relocate my rear springs inboard. My question is about exhaust pipe routing. I will be using TTI headers and I see that their exhaust run beside the fuel tank in the rear. That's also the space that relocated rear springs occupy. Any thoughts or ideas. Thank you

Yeah there's only so much space back there...in that situation most guys will just dump the exhaust before the axle or use a fuel cell which frees up some room. There's also the AAR Cuda-style side exit...a buddy did that on a hot rod Ranchero and was pretty cool. Besides that, you'll have to get creative with the bender if you really want the pipes exiting all the way out back..

I've seen pics here of custom tailpipes that go over the rear, and then exit out to the side behind the rear wheels, after going thru the space between the frame and the leaf springs. Looks like it works slick.
I just don't know where they are. I'm sure they arein the exhaust section somewhere.....

Funny you should ask ...

Not sure about the first photo but the springs are definately moved in in the second photo

1969_plymouth_road-runner.jpg

IMG_4917.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back