• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear windshield install question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
So on the 67 Coronet RT that I’m re assembling I installed the front windshield this morning and attempted the rear in the same fashion, gasket in the frame of the body and try to get the glass into the groove. That didn’t go well, was getting nowhere. Does the rear glass install go the other way ? , gasket on the glass and rope it into the frame? If so I’ve never done that before if you have any tips or suggestions I’d sure appreciate it. Where to start etc. I imagine with rope you can’t use the bedding any glazing compound, it would just pull it out and make a huge mess.
Thanks

same as front, you need two people and a pair of cups to hold while doing it. gain two people re a must. Place glass in bottom of gasket then rope from side to top nd over to other side.

same as front, you need two people and a pair of cups to hold while doing it. gain two people re a must. Place glass in bottom of gasket then rope from side to top nd over to other side.
so a rope is necessary? When I do the front the gasket is completely in the frame and I lay the glass in the bottom and just work it all the way around with plastic spoon tools no rope.
What your describing is the gasket on the glass completely are rope it into the frame. Am I understanding correctly?

On a 67 charger you simply put the gasket on window, rope in the inside flap, and pull the rope from inside the car easy peesy.
Assume coronet the same?

I guess I’m going to hit the local auto zone and see if they stock that rope tool with t handle. Any sealant used inside that lip ?

Use the proper bedding butyl.

When i was younger i did a rear window install the way the front is done. I did not know any better. It was difficult and i am surprised i did not break it.
This time around it will be getting a new gasket so i cut the 55 year old one out.

The service manual shows it being roped in.

Rope it is . I’d like to use the same 3m bedding and glazing but don’t understand how that can work. The rope will pull out the sealant and make a mess. If I put a bead on the window channel and lay the windshield and gasket on it , that would also make a huge mess. Any tips or tricks?

Puctures

image.jpg

image.jpg

Front was tough but came out great and I have the bedding compound in both channels. I like the zipper gasket they use in the front much better.

image.jpg

The old Thrush sticker is staying on , god only knows who placed it on and how long ago that was

image.jpg

Backlite is roped in as mentioned. It gets sealed from the gasket to car AND glass to the gasket.

If you’re using a pumpable sealant, stick the tip under the gasket and run it around both the body and the glass. You could also use ribbon sealer on the pinch weld, spray with glass cleaner, lay the window on it and rope it in.

I have been using the same piece of clothes line for the last 30 years to rope glass in. Put the glass in the gasket and then the rope in the gasket starting from the bottom. I use spray can glass cleaner as a lubricant. Set the glass in the opening. Pull one side of the rope around the first bottom corner ,then the other side. Make sure the bottom is on, then work your way up the sides and finish at the top middle. You can hit the outside of the glass with the palm of your hand to help seat it as you go. Sealant isn't normally used . They used to make a flowable butyl sealant in a pump can like an oil pump can. Something like that might have work after installing the glass. Everything else sounds messy.

Last edited:
I went to lowes and bought 1/8 nylon cord and 3/16 cord. Recommended from you tube videos. Going to tackle it tomorrow morning. I am going to try and lay in a very thin bead of 3m bedding and glazing and lay the rope on top of it all around like you describe and give it a go.

All done with all your help , very pleased with the results. Used the 1/8 in cord.
Thanks all once again

283169BB-15E2-403A-800B-78F40F99DBDC.jpeg

036B5BB5-463D-4795-80CD-26DF3950171D.jpeg

D5120D15-23D3-447F-89F0-DD60B82557EC.jpeg

0B3071F9-CBC9-49B8-AB99-0C6923B763C8.jpeg

33917634-470E-48D8-84EF-FEF89185DFE6.jpeg

C7A1611E-41BA-42C5-943D-5E773290182D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back