• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons why newer cars suck a$$...

It plays loud and clear enough for me and everything 25 foot around me. A USB flash drive will sound better than a CD as long as the music is encoded in either .aiff or .wav. The reason it sounds better is that you are playing exclusively a digital file and you don't have to deal with the laser mechanism, laser or other mechanisms that introduce noise

Nope, they're probably engineered even worse. I'm saying that an '08 model isn't 'newer' any more.
They are engineered with more electronics and computers. There is a chip for everything nowadays. That's an issue. Look at the chip shortages. So much more to go wrong if an issue occurs. And they still have problems with simple, old tech like rear ends, transmissions, cylinder walls, valves, fuel pumps. Lots of these parts are failing early due to bad engineering.

I detest navigation. I used to look at a paper map jump in the truck snd drive halfway across the country. I knew interstates and major highways. I still managed to find individual addresses with ease. When I use nav I feel like I’m getting dumber every second.
And satellite radio, all I do is change the channel every other song and it sounds like it’s piped in, no ill take FM thank you.
You will never find a listening device such as Alexa in my residence.
You're right, it does just come down to money, driving around flipping around a paper map is not as good or safe as a navigation system. listening devices such as Alexa in my residence don't scare me, do you turn off your phone so they can't follow you before you get home or in your car also. The man is everywhere, God forbid you should ever need a hearing aid.

Reason #420:. Some engineers need to be shot. My wife has a very nice '08 Buick Enclave with 182K miles on it. I took it in for an oil change after I washed and gassed the car. I'd noticed the temp gauge was creeping up from 210° where it sits normally. Pointed that out to the mechanic, he'd check it out after the oil/filter change and wheel rotation...

The water pump is tits-up, as are both formed heater hoses (which are originals) were bulged and required replacing. Total is just over two grand. Yeah. Two thousand dollars! What in the left-handed **** is up with that?

I looked up both the hours and procedure for both. Holy $hit! I watched several YT videos and decided I was not gonna jack with it. The engineers who designed this need to be castrated, drawn and quartered, then set afire. WTF are they thinking? The heater hoses are a serious pita to access, and I don't have those tools. The water pump involves lifting the engine a bit,, turning the wheel full right (or removing the RF wheel/tire), and removing the right headlight assembly.

Screw that!

I called back and negotiated a final price. They wanted $2400! I negotiated down to two thousand. Their labor rate is $152.25 per hour. *******. Crazy!

I'm done with newer cars.
You'll have that. Almost like they are complex on purpose so you can't fix it yourself.

You're right, it does just come down to money, driving around flipping around a paper map is not as good or safe as a navigation system. listening devices such as Alexa in my residence don't scare me, do you turn off your phone so they can't follow you before you get home or in your car also. The man is everywhere, God forbid you should ever need a hearing aid.
I do need hearing aids but ill never have them. Watched my father and several co-wokers struggles with them. No thank you.
How is looking down at screen or pushing a touchscreen while driving safer than knowing where your going and just f-ing driving? All the distractions in new vehicles are the reason you need 10 airbags surounding you in these new contraptions they call safe automobiles. Nobody pays attention to driving anymore.

I got this back in ‘04. It’s been my daily since ‘14. I think I might have hit $2400 with the recent front brakes and suspension work. Including the cost of the car.
2D12C047-E6FB-443A-BD03-7584B1CD2F2B.jpeg

Reason #420:. Some engineers need to be shot. My wife has a very nice '08 Buick Enclave with 182K miles on it. I took it in for an oil change after I washed and gassed the car. I'd noticed the temp gauge was creeping up from 210° where it sits normally. Pointed that out to the mechanic, he'd check it out after the oil/filter change and wheel rotation...

The water pump is tits-up, as are both formed heater hoses (which are originals) were bulged and required replacing. Total is just over two grand. Yeah. Two thousand dollars! What in the left-handed **** is up with that?

I looked up both the hours and procedure for both. Holy $hit! I watched several YT videos and decided I was not gonna jack with it. The engineers who designed this need to be castrated, drawn and quartered, then set afire. WTF are they thinking? The heater hoses are a serious pita to access, and I don't have those tools. The water pump involves lifting the engine a bit,, turning the wheel full right (or removing the RF wheel/tire), and removing the right headlight assembly.

Screw that!

I called back and negotiated a final price. They wanted $2400! I negotiated down to two thousand. Their labor rate is $152.25 per hour. *******. Crazy!

I'm done with newer cars.

Most new vehicles are ten pounds of **** in a five pound sack i.e. too much stuff crammed in a too-tight space. Open the hood, look down and you can barely see the ground through all the stuff.

I do need hearing aids but ill never have them. Watched my father and several co-wokers struggles with them. No thank you.
How is looking down at screen or pushing a touchscreen while driving safer than knowing where your going and just f-ing driving? All the distractions in new vehicles are the reason you need 10 airbags surounding you in these new contraptions they call safe automobiles. Nobody pays attention to driving anymore.
The navigation system must be set with the vehicle stopped. It can be viewed on the screen, audio or dead center just above the steering wheel. Hearing aids come bluetooth that connect to the car or phone. My brother can hear a mouse fart from across the room. I could ask him what they cost if you're interested.

My 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr/318cid Magnum
is still relatively easy to get into & work
albeit I only have 60k on it & has been extremely reliable
other than some bolt-ons for a bit of a performance boost
1.7:1 rockers swirl spacer, AEM airbox & K&N filter & 4" intake
a cat back 3" Flowmaster delta 50 series muffler & a Hypertech tuner
(really woke it up)
My only maintenance items, a couple speed & an O2 sensors,
new front brakes, oil, filter & fluid changes,
new tires about 2 years after I bought it (need to get new again)

My 02 F350 4x4 PS 7.3ltr Diesel 6 speed Dually (2nd newest vehicle)
is a PITA to work on, it has 155k on it
freaken' expensive to maintain too, parts are freaken' expensive
injectors, inj. tubes that leaked, turbo, gaskets, belts etc.
slave cylinders (3 now), clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing,
shocks, '6 tires' (like 6 times now), 3-4 filters (depending on what)
& 12qts of oil
not like I assumed/or was told or thought it would be :jackoff:
I go a bit overboard too...

I do own a 17 Chrysler 300S 3.6ltr Pentastar 300hp (296) V6/TF 8 speed,
Sports Appearance package
luxed out, leather & fully optioned, except no Hemi
I got a deal $28k out the door, $38k car list
at the end of 2017 Nov.
it's been really good too, just regular upkeep & it has about 55k on it now
my sister has it & drives the literal piss out of it
she's put the majority of the miles on it
she is now responsible for paying for all the maintenance, reg. insurance costs etc.
On the schedule, that I told her or I will take the car back...
Haven't done anything to it except oil & filter changes, new tires
due for brakes soon, & a big all points checkup, maybe struts
She got in a fender bender, had to replace a few trim pieces,
touch up some bumper paint
it wasn't cheap like $2,800 (insurance)

I like it simple...

I was going to look at a new Ranger 4x4 or Bronco 4x4 for my dad
so he doesn't drive 'the dually' anymore, I don't let him drive my Dakota
he's an accident waiting to happen
I'm really hesitant on that too...

way too much **** on new cars, stuffed in tight places
not easily accessed :realcrazy:

Last edited:
I do any work that I can, but I agree! I've replaced the PS pump twice on my 94 Caravan, the amount of bezels you have to remove just to get to bolt components that are hiding the pump, and then to replace the pump itself? I get it! Transverse engines don't help either! The real plugs are easy to get when it's on a lift, otherwise screw it while doing it on jack stands!

Car manufacturers lease boatloads of their vehicles. Black, white, silver, and gray are the "safe colors"... they sell quickly on the dealer lots once the lease has ended.

Ease of maintainability? GM products never come to mind.

I've got another reason why I hate new cars - fuel pump in the gas tank. I rebuilt the one in my other car with a new pump and sending unit. I did a lot of research to figure out what heat shrink tubing was fuel resistant. Just to be sure it worked, I took a pill bottle and filled it with a little gas, then put a wire with the heat shrink tubing in it. Every now and then I'd check to see if the tubing was still good, and it was, so I eventually forgot. I found it again today and when I looked in, all I had was a bare wire. I guess if the car was going to blow up it would have done it already, but I can't say I'm happy. Cars should not be built with any potential ignition source in the gas tank.

I also hate HVAC modules.

I've got another reason why I hate new cars - fuel pump in the gas tank.

That has always bugged me too. I don't see a reason the pump cannot be external and easier to replace. Perhaps there is a good reason behind it, but I sure don't know what it is.

That has always bugged me too. I don't see a reason the pump cannot be external and easier to replace. Perhaps there is a good reason behind it, but I sure don't know what it

The fluid being pumped helps keep the pump cool. Modern fuel pumps that operate at pressures in the 30–70psi range run hot. You shouldn't run less than a quarter tank of fuel for that reason

The navigation system must be set with the vehicle stopped. It can be viewed on the screen, audio or dead center just above the steering wheel. Hearing aids come bluetooth that connect to the car or phone. My brother can hear a mouse fart from across the room. I could ask him what they cost if you're interested.
I have driven cars with nav snd all the bull ****. My wife owns a 2016 300s. She wants to use all the b.s. and its a pain snd a major destraction. Especially when your driving along a planned route and the nav says recalculating turn right and I like WTF! Thats not the route! Do I trust it to take me off route? No f#%k that thing.
As far as your brothers hearing aids. I can barely get the correct **** to connect bluetooth. And then have to fight that with hearing aids? No thank you. Does your brother work outside in 100* or 0* weather? In rain, snow, dusty roads,sweat pouring off his head. Trucks, equipment and other equipment running all day? Maybe he can hear that mouse fart in a room in the house where his may stay connected to his blue tooth. Hell last guy I worked with wore hearing aids walked around with his hands over his ears when **** got loud. What good is that?

I recently drove in my 43 year old Chrysler to the dealer to pick up parts (sensors) so I could repair my late model Dodge .
Heh, I can relate - just recently, I ran around in Fred ('68) fetching parts for my '04 Ram.
The irony was not lost on me at the time...

While I still keep up on most of the latest offerings out there, at this point in life the vehicles I have are the
ones I will have to see me out...
2004 Ram at 175k, rusty rear wheelwell lip and all, has been stellar (except for that whole rotten brake line
deal recently).
2012 Charger at 100k ditto.
That they're both nicely equipped and most importantly, 5.7 hemi cars was done intentionally - I won't have the
wherewithal or the inclination to ever buy a new one again in my lifetime.

Auto Transport Service
Back