• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons why newer cars suck a$$...

I'm not sure I feel that new cars are poorly engineered. Heck, in the muscle car era, a car with 1 horsepower per cubic inch was amazing. Today, minivans have 2 horsepower per cubic inch! Also, one of the worst cars that I ever changed plugs and wires on was my 1962 Corvette. So old cars can have access issues as well. How about a 426 Hemi in one of our old cars? Not easy to get to! (But I'd love to have that problem!!!)

But here is what pisses me off about newer cars: I am absolutely convinced that the car companies are very purposefully trying to make it impossible for people to work on their own cars. One example is they constantly design new fasteners that need special tools to take them off. Is the new fastener design really needed? I don't think so.
But the biggest issue is they make their software proprietary and you don't get the program to work on the car when you buy it. Since most things are now software controlled, you must talk to the computer in order to diagnose and fix the car. Well, there are very limited options - you pretty much have to go to the dealer and pay $175 per hour for them to do it.

I don't like buying a product from a company and then being held hostage by said company to work on it.

I just learned a week or so ago. In a Tesla you have to call up a page on the screen (on that big screen tv in the dash) to be able to adjust the airflow and direction of the a/c vents on the dash. Apparently the electric Porsche also has this completely absurd feature.
I guess you have to rub your finger on the touch screen to move the vent instead of just moving the vent itself which is next to the screen.
I believe that sums up the bad logic in new cars.

I just learned a week or so ago. In a Tesla you have to call up a page on the screen (on that big screen tv in the dash) to be able to adjust the airflow and direction of the a/c vents on the dash. Apparently the electric Porsche also has this completely absurd feature.
I guess you have to rub your finger on the touch screen to move the vent instead of just moving the vent itself which is next to the screen.
I believe that sums up the bad logic in new cars.
Wow! What idiot thinks that’s nessasary? Or even cool? It’s just something to upsell people one. Just like this new F-250 I drive at work. It’s a base model not a single option. And it has all these annoying dingers telling me the key is in the ignition, the door is ajar, the transmission is not in park, check the back seat for occupants, seat belt not buckled and on and on. All of which I’m very well aware of. All B.S!

Too much gee-whiz electronic gimmickry that is all connected; so that when your taillight assembly goes out, your speedometer quits and your nav-system comes up with a map for Ukraine instead of Dallas-Fort Worth.

My brother's new F-350 King Ranch? There are three sensors inside each headlight assembly. I have no idea what they do, but he tried to get the sensor replaced under warranty. Oh, no, that would make sense! The entire m-f'ing headlight assembly must be replaced as a unit. He called a local dealer in the Denver area, they said they had the part in stock (apparently, it's a popular item to go tits-up on these!). But, he bought the truck new at a dealer 200 miles away, so the Denver dealer said he'd have to go to the selling dealer for that warranty work! So, he called the selling dealer, made the appointment (they had it in stock, too), and spent the day at that dealer way out on the Colorado prairie. He wanted to buy his truck at that Denver dealer initially, but I guess the dealer doesn't need the business and really doesn't give a shi# about customer service.

You know how much that headlight assembly costs out the door, if you have to buy it? $1,770 before tax and installation. Reason #539 why I don't jack with newer transportation modules

Last edited:
Too much gee-whiz electronic gimmickry that is all connected; so that when your taillight assembly goes out, your speedometer quits and your nav-system comes up with a map for Ukraine instead of Dallas-Fort Worth.

My brother's new F-350 King Ranch? There are three sensors inside each headlight assembly. I have no idea what they do, but he tried to get the sensor replaced under warranty. Oh, no, that would make sense! The entire m-f'ing headlight assembly must be replaced as a unit. He called a local dealer in the Denver area, they said they had the part in stock (apparently, it's a popular item to go tits-up on these!). But, he bought the truck new at a dealer 200 miles away, so the Denver dealer said he'd have to go to the selling dealer for that warranty work! So, he called the selling dealer, made the appointment (they had it in stock, too), and spent the day at that dealer way out on the Colorado prairie. He wanted to buy his truck at that Denver dealer initially, but I guess the dealer doesn't need the business and really doesn't give a shi# about customer service.

You know how much that headlight assembly costs out the door, if you have to buy it? $1,770 before tax and installation. Reason #539 why I don't jack with newer transportation modules
New Mack truck headlights are like that. All LED non serviceable, only $1100 though. New Dodge trucks(and I believe Ford has them also) with the snazzy tail lights that yellow when turn, red when brake, are non serviceable and we're as high as $550. I think they have come down now, but that's a hell of a lot more than a $5 bulb. In most states with safety inspection 50% of LEDs in a assembly will fail. I guess the good thing about these girly trucks is at least you won't break that tail light assembly doing actual work.

Some of those sensors (also in tail lights) could be the blind spot monitors.

Can always buy this

9AC4E906-9A9A-45FD-9707-DB33A3A7CB82.png

I drive a 2020 Chebby at work and I don't like it much. Best, most ironic (or moronic) feature is a message that frequently comes up on the screen. (Warning, taking your eyes off the road is dangerous) or something like that. So you have to take your eyes off the road to read the stupid friggen message and then punch okay to get the message off the screen.

I drive a 2020 Chebby at work and I don't like it much. Best, most ironic (or moronic) feature is a message that frequently comes up on the screen. (Warning, taking your eyes off the road is dangerous) or something like that. So you have to take your eyes off the road to read the stupid friggen message and then punch okay to get the message off the screen.
That’s truly brilliant

newest wheels I ever owned is my 01 Durango......it rust free and clean, I hope to be driving it for quite a while..... I despise all the new overpriced junk

Here's the difference between old and new. Years ago if you happen to come across a stalled car on the side shoulder of the road, odds were that the driver/occupants (if knowledgeable about cars in the first place) had the hood up and were working on it to get it going again. Most likely the car was still running. Rarely were they walking away from it unless it was a "I ran out of Gas" issue.
Most likely they would zip pass you further down the road because they fixed it with some chewing gum, spit and rubber bands. Simple things for a simpler lifestyle.
Today, when you see a new car stalled on the shoulder, all you see are drivers/occupants on their other homing devices, the dreaded iPhone. They are calling for a tow truck or a dealer/technician to come save them like if they were marooned on an island.

Like the celebrated Tony DeFoe said, "new cars are just really disposable appliances on four wheels.

Brake power and its efficiency is just about the only thing that I really am impressed about with the new editions, but that technology has also fooled most folks into thinking that they can drive more faster, more aggressively and more ignorantly.
Now don't get me started when it comes to styling, metal strength and visibility. The oldies but goodies will rock their boats with that as well.

Some of those sensors (also in tail lights) could be the blind spot monitors.
I as thinking likely that, plus auto-dim lights/DRL to full headlights in darkness, and lane-changing sensor. Could be more, i guess.
I don't need their 83" TVs in the cab, with every single function running through a ridiculous touch-screen. And, driving is safer because of all of this?

Hell, heated seats and outside mirrors are all the "tech" toys I want. I'm happy that my '14 Passat has that, Sat/Nav, and the automatic headlights/DRL. Were I to ever retrofit an older Mopar with "modern" options, I'd probably roll with those four items I mentioned.

Auto Transport Service
Back