• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rebuild hurst shifter

belvedere 67

Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
My 4 speed shifter is pretty sloppy, I think I need a rebuild. I seen a kit for sale on ebay. Has anybody rebuilt their own? Is it difficult? Or does someone know of somewhere I can send it. and as always , thanks

You csn send it to Hurst directly, or indirectly thru Year One, I believe.

you can buy a new shim kit on ebay.
I recently did one.
very simple
put the shims in exactly the way you took it apart.

I took mine apart, cleaned and regressed everything, readjusted the rods and it shifts perfectly. My shims looked fine so clean and lube is all it took

Its been a while but I put in new shims and had it apart a few times before I was Happy and drilled a hole for a grease fitting and used Lucas red and tacky.... as mentioned above exactly the way it came apart ... take photos use wire and tags to label it 12245 etc

I did mine a few years back, it's pretty easy. At the time I found a YouTube vid from hurst on how to do it but it wasn't really needed, just keep things in order.

Depends where the slop is. If you have the iso-clamp handle (factory MoPar) then you can get the isolation kit from the usual suspects. If you have the aftermarket bolt on handle then your slop is limited to the clearance between the gates and the pivot pin. I took my original iso-clamp shifter and made bushings for the pivot pin, but I have that capability so it was easy for me. Another thing you want to do is make sure all the pivot points are tight. Check all shift rods from the box to the plates on the tranny.

Auto Transport Service
Back