• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding a 1972 Plymouth satellite on a budget

72 the k member for sb and bb is the same.

It sounds like you need to go through the motor. You want to make this trip!! You might be able to just hone the 318 and maybe polish the crank... see what you have.
Most the 72 318 cars have 2.73 in a 8.25 rear. That is already highway geared, ready for a road trip. Simple to check and see what you have.
Going to a bb isn't that big a deal to swap if it is something you want later...but first things first I would get the car road worthy

View attachment 1592146
Are honing and polishing things I can do myself, or would I have to send off to a machine shop to have it done properly? If I can make this 318 road worthy without sending the block off to a shop and spending a lot of extra money I'll definitely do that.

That does not sound great, but then again I have driven 318 cars with ticking and low oil pressure for 10's of thousands of miles beyond what would be considered poor condition. Key indicators of just how worn things are for you would be your oil pressure and a compression test.

Your car likely came with a 8-1/4, but could still have an 8-3/4. The 8-1/4 could go as low as 2.45. For the 8-3/4 the lowest numerical ratio is 2.76. The difference in revs on the highway from say a 3.23 gear is pretty significant.
My oil pressure usually sits around 40-45 while on the highway and 18-20 at idle. I've been running some Lucas oil additive products and it seems like the thicker product has raised the oil pressure. The last compression test I did was a while ago, but at the time all the cylinders were close to the same (if memory serves). I'll run another compression test to verify those numbers. I went out to check the rear gears just now and found out that the base police had towed my car for being an environmental hazard, so I'm working on getting my hands back on it. Should have it back by tomorrow morning.

Welcome from 6 hours north of you on the central coast, at least until you head to cheeses land. Are you stationed at Pendleton or Mira Mar? I used to live in SD county for many years. Love you Marines. When I was going to Calvary Chapel, we went out several times to hangout with the new recruits and drill instructors at Pendleton.
It's nice to meet you, I'm stationed up in twenty nine palms. I go through Pendleton every so often for training and events, I actually went to school there for almost a year back in 2021. Is Calvary Chapel near the base?

waves.gif

Before I say "welcome" and "nice car, best of luck", most importantly I say "thank you... for your service".

Before I say "welcome" and "nice car, best of luck", most importantly I say "thank you... for your service".
I appreciate it, I didn't expect so many replies regarding the military. It's awesome to see so much support for us, thank you

My oil pressure usually sits around 40-45 while on the highway and 18-20 at idle. I've been running some Lucas oil additive products and it seems like the thicker product has raised the oil pressure. The last compression test I did was a while ago, but at the time all the cylinders were close to the same (if memory serves). I'll run another compression test to verify those numbers. I went out to check the rear gears just now and found out that the base police had towed my car for being an environmental hazard, so I'm working on getting my hands back on it. Should have it back by tomorrow morning.
There are plenty of things you can do youself.
Yes you can buy a hone and reuse the pistons. You may not get every score out but it can go many miles. As far as polishing the crank, there are home remedies...or A machine shop can also turn it and polish it for you. But it really depends on the condition everything is in. It could be beyond doing either, you won't know till it's apart. But a engine can run a Long time just freshened up with new bearings and rings. It's a good way to learn...learn on this one and you will be more ready for the next upgrade. I think I was 17 when I rebuild my first 318...a few years later we had a turbocharger on it....which mostly resulted in a lot more wrenching as we blew head gaskets weekly and my brother and I were constantly tweeking it.Lol
Also.. appreciate you serving! THANK YOU!

Last edited:
"I went out to check the rear gears just now and found out that the base police had towed my car for being an environmental hazard,..."
Now that's an interesting story. Is it leaking fluids that bad? Where was it?
Terry W.

There are plenty of things you can do youself.
Yes you can buy a hone and reuse the pistons. You may not get every score out but it can go many miles. As far as polishing the crank, there are home remedies...or A machine shop can also turn it and polish it for you. But it really depends on the condition everything is in. It could be beyond doing either, you won't know till it's apart. But a engine can run a Long time just freshened up with new bearings and rings. It's a good way to learn...learn on this one and you will be more ready for the next upgrade. I think I was 17 when I rebuild my first 318...a few years later we had a turbocharger on it....which mostly resulted in a lot more wrenching as we blew head gaskets weekly and my brother and I were constantly tweeking it.Lol
Also.. appreciate you serving! THANK YOU!
Hopefully I don't have to replace too many head gaskets. How would I know if the crank/pistons need to be replaced? Anything I should look for specifically?

"I went out to check the rear gears just now and found out that the base police had towed my car for being an environmental hazard,..."
Now that's an interesting story. Is it leaking fluids that bad? Where was it?
Terry W.
I accidentally spilled transmission fluid when I was topping off the power steering pump yesterday, and I guess the environmental affairs agency thought it looked enough like an oil leak to get the police and a tow truck involved. $170 and a few hours later and I have the car back. I'm keeping a spill pan underneath it now to avoid any more surprises

I accidentally spilled transmission fluid when I was topping off the power steering pump yesterday, and I guess the environmental affairs agency thought it looked enough like an oil leak to get the police and a tow truck involved. $170 and a few hours later and I have the car back. I'm keeping a spill pan underneath it now to avoid any more surprises
You should ask them for the environmental study to show how many emissions the police car and tow truck contributed, and how much cleaner will the world be now that they have your $170.

Auto Transport Service
Back