• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding a 1972 Plymouth satellite on a budget

AdamBrooks98

Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Good morning folks, this is my first time posting on FBBO. I've lurked on this sight off and on for a few years, but I finally decided to join and start asking some questions. I have a 1972 Plymouth satellite Sebring with a 318 LA and a 3 speed 904 transmission. I believe it is numbers matching(not that anyone cares lol), and I don't think it's ever been rebuilt. I've put a decent amount of work into the car to keep it on the road, and I've been driving it for the last few years. I'm getting out of the Marine Corps and moving from southern California to Wisconsin in December, and I figured it was a good opportunity to run it up route 66. I want to build the engine and transmission before I embark on a 2,000 mile journey and end up stuck in the middle of Utah with 7 pistons. I've rebuilt/replaced just about everything that I can bolt on to the engine, but I've yet to tackle the valvetrain or rotating assembly. I know the car has been run out of oil once (oil pump shaft sheared off on a healthy acceleration)and overheated a few times (someone installed a block heater before I bought the car), so I'm fairly certain I'll need to bore it out a bit. I've looked a few things up and it seems like most people tend to chuck the 318 in favor of the torque that a 360 offers, and I'm open to any suggestions. I want to switch over to a 4 speed manual transmission if possible, but I have no idea how that would work. I've heard rumors that these 318's can be stroked to a 390, but that sounds like it's more of a novelty than a realistic plan. If anyone knows of a good shop in southern CA, or has been here/done this, I would love to hear what worked for you. I'll attach some pictures of the car and engine for reference.

P.S. I'm aware there is more rust than car, it's from WI. I'll deal with the body/interior at a later date
PXL_20230822_234640176.jpg
PXL_20230822_235226197.jpg
PXL_20230822_235214562.jpg
PXL_20230822_234606545.jpg
PXL_20230822_235256365.jpg
PXL_20230822_234459638.jpg
PXL_20230822_234452234.jpg
PXL_20230822_234826531.jpg

Welcome from Nebraska!
I have seen much worse cars for sure!

I loved driving our 72 satellite. We are trying to get ours back on the road. It was much like yours started out w a 318..and lots of history w a 318 in it. But it has a bb in it now. I wouldn't go back. Just sayin!!
For the 4 speed switch over...best find what you can used and use Brewers for the rest.

Common LA upgrade to the 360 magnum. I always like a stroker build though...could stroke a 360. 318 stroked is not a bad thing either, just depends on your budget and your plans.
Timing chain is usually what let's go on a 318...the rest is pretty tough!

Last edited:
New engines need to be broken in and often come with problems and adjustments that need to be made over time. If I was in your shoes, I would check the car out thoroughly and make the drive as-is. 318's are pretty bullet proof even when tired. If I was to make one upgrade, it would be to install the biggest highway gear I could which will lesser the stress on everything. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome Adam! Looks like a good driver. You'll have to weigh each way you might want to go and see how that matches your budget. Good luck with your decision.

And Thank You For Your Service :usflag:

Agree with above, pending whether it seems to be running OK currently.

...and don't assume it needs an overbore.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. AND,Semper Fi!

Welcome from Nebraska!
I have seen much worse cars for sure!

I loved driving our 72 satellite. We are trying to get ours back on the road. It was much like yours started out w a 318..and lots of history w a 318 in it. But it has a bb in it now. I wouldn't go back. Just sayin!!
For the 4 speed switch over...best find what you can used and use Brewers for the rest.

Common LA upgrade to the 360 magnum. I always like a stroker build though...could stroke a 360. 318 stroked is not a bad thing either, just depends on your budget and your plans.
Timing chain is usually what let's go on a 318...the rest is pretty tough!
Timing chain did in fact go, that was one of the early repairs. The plastic teeth cracked and fell off into the oil pan, which is what plugged the oil pickup tube. I ran it for a few miles before I realized what had happened and shut her down, not actually sure how much damage I did to the engine.

It's easier for me to stick with the small block since I have all the parts on here already, but the temptation of a big block is strong. How difficult/expensive is it to switch one of these vehicles over? I'm assuming transmission and rear end would all have to change, as well. Thanks for the response!

Cali to WI, make it a cruiser for now; YY, Kid & #41 have GREAT advice; you are NOT making big $$$$ as a JARHEAD (USN in 80s) and WILL need $$$$ to get home; GREAT you want to do the MOTHER ROAD with the Sat, so more fuel & $$$$. May want to get that "sunroof" fixed 1st.

GOOD LUCK TO YA "LEATHER NECK"!!!

SB to BB, k-member & front end changes required!!!!

New engines need to be broken in and often come with problems and adjustments that need to be made over time. If I was in your shoes, I would check the car out thoroughly and make the drive as-is. 318's are pretty bullet proof even when tired. If I was to make one upgrade, it would be to install the biggest highway gear I could which will lesser the stress on everything. Good luck on your journey.
I have some noticable lifter tick on the driver's side, and what I assume is some rod knock. I had the oil pan off when I replaced the oil pickup tube and pump, and I could physically shift most of the connecting rods a bit on the crank, they wiggled around a bit when I poked them. Not sure if that's normal or the bearings are worn out. I replaced the intake when I upgraded to a 4 barrel carb, and I noticed some of the lobes on the camshaft were chipped, which is a bit concerning.

Regarding a highway gear, would that go inside the differential?

Welcome Adam! Looks like a good driver. You'll have to weigh each way you might want to go and see how that matches your budget. Good luck with your decision.

And Thank You For Your Service :usflag:
Thanks for the reply, Semper Fi!

Cali to WI, make it a cruiser for now; YY, Kid & #41 have GREAT advice; you are NOT making big $$$$ as a JARHEAD (USN in 80s) and WILL need $$$$ to get home; GREAT you want to do the MOTHER ROAD with the Sat, so more fuel & $$$$. May want to get that "sunroof" fixed 1st.

GOOD LUCK TO YA "LEATHER NECK"!!!

SB to BB, k-member & front end changes required!!!!
Thanks for the advice, they definitely don't use the pay as incentive when they're recruiting. If I can make it back to Wisconsin in one piece, I have a buddy with a welder to tackle the rust with me. Semper Fi!

72 the k member for sb and bb is the same.
I have some noticable lifter tick on the driver's side, and what I assume is some rod knock. I had the oil pan off when I replaced the oil pickup tube and pump, and I could physically shift most of the connecting rods a bit on the crank, they wiggled around a bit when I poked them. Not sure if that's normal or the bearings are worn out. I replaced the intake when I upgraded to a 4 barrel carb, and I noticed some of the lobes on the camshaft were chipped, which is a bit concerning.

It sounds like you need to go through the motor. You want to make this trip!! You might be able to just hone the 318 and maybe polish the crank... see what you have.
Most the 72 318 cars have 2.71 in a 8.25 rear. That is already highway geared, ready for a road trip. Simple to check and see what you have.
Going to a bb isn't that big a deal to swap if it is something you want later...but first things first I would get the car road worthy

20240107_145426.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your service...

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

That does not sound great, but then again I have driven 318 cars with ticking and low oil pressure for 10's of thousands of miles beyond what would be considered poor condition. Key indicators of just how worn things are for you would be your oil pressure and a compression test.

Your car likely came with a 8-1/4, but could still have an 8-3/4. The 8-1/4 could go as low as 2.45. For the 8-3/4 the lowest numerical ratio is 2.76. The difference in revs on the highway from say a 3.23 gear is pretty significant.

Welcome from 6 hours north of you on the central coast, at least until you head to cheeses land. Are you stationed at Pendleton or Mira Mar? I used to live in SD county for many years. Love you Marines. When I was going to Calvary Chapel, we went out several times to hangout with the new recruits and drill instructors at Pendleton.

Thank you for your service.

Welcome to FBBO from Georgia.

Nice project. You came to the right group of people.

Auto Transport Service
Back