• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding my 318... Need valves and File to Fit piston rings...

Jon JB Burnley

Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Rebuilding the 318 in my '72 Charger and hitting a wall...

Valves are shot. Ordered a new set from Jegs and after I received notification they were being shipped, I was sent notice that they had been discontinued, soooo NOT shipped.
shocked.gif

I just dropped the heads off at a local machine shop to have them milled, new guides, assembled, etc. But, no valves! Was expecting them in at any time and now...
shruggy.gif

Block needs a touch of clean up in the cylinders and need some File to Fit rings... Annnd I cannot find any!

Anyone have any leads? Need valves and File to Fit piston rings. Everything I am looking for is stock specs.

Thanks in advance... JB

There are a bunch of fine folks on FABO with 318s; and 318 threads too.

Haven't redone a 318 in ages, but wouldn't places like rock auto, etc. have in stock ?

Why do you need file to fit rings?

If your doing a close to stock rebuild the std rings will be fine.
Doug

Why do you need file to fit rings?

The guy who I have helping me build out the engine said the gap of the stock rings (due to the clean up of the walls) is just a bit out of gap for his liking. File to fit means we can get them set where they will do their job with being oversized or too sloppy of a fit.

The guy who I have helping me build out the engine said the gap of the stock rings (due to the clean up of the walls) is just a bit out of gap for his liking. File to fit means we can get them set where they will do their job with being oversized or too sloppy of a fit.

I'd be worried more about the cylinder being round and straight. The piston groove being unworn. And excess piston to wall clearance. If those are correct the ring gap won't make any difference. Now if you are using used pistons in a oversize/or tapered bore? I really wouldn't worry about gap. If there's an issue, it won't be from the gap being to big.
Doug

Run the stock ones. They are designed for the stock bore. If you are that concerned you should be replacing pistons.

I'd be worried more about the cylinder being round and straight. The piston groove being unworn. And excess piston to wall clearance. If those are correct the ring gap won't make any difference. Now if you are using used pistons in a oversize/or tapered bore? I really wouldn't worry about gap. If there's an issue, it won't be from the gap being to big.
Doug
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doug

As of now, we are reusing the pistons, because they look good. I believe the walls are good, but am taking the block to a machine shop to have them set everything up, so the guess work will be taken out of that equation... This car was not abused at all and just sat a lot. There is very little wear and tear on the motor. So hoping they can get everything set without me having to sell a body part or two!

Thanks for your input. Will definitely mention it to them...

As of now, we are reusing the pistons, because they look good. I believe the walls are good, but am taking the block to a machine shop to have them set everything up, so the guess work will be taken out of that equation... This car was not abused at all and just sat a lot. There is very little wear and tear on the motor. So hoping they can get everything set without me having to sell a body part or two!

Thanks for your input. Will definitely mention it to them...
You had better get the machine shops evaluation on bore size first. I would not be sourcing parts that may end up being wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back