• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilt 440 in my 72 RR

racerx20

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
It's been a long 5 months but just wrapping up my 440 refresh for my 72 RR. Rebuilt the bottom end and upgraded to 440 Source CNC heads, aluminum water pump housing, mid length headers and aluminum radiator. Not sure how much I shaved off weight wise but has to be over 100 lbs ditching all the iron parts. Motor was painted orange before but took it back to corporate blue, really happy with the way it turned out. Tons of thanks to my pops!

Before rebuild shot:
IMG-2163.jpg

Detailed engine compartment, new harnesses, painted k member, new Steer N Gear firm steering box and rebuilt steering column:
IMG-4378.jpg

Mocking up headers/plug wires etc...etc... (heads were painted before installing in car)
IMG-0875.jpg

Near final product:
IMG-0137.jpg

Still have to have the exhaust hooked up, reinstall the hood and the other little tweaks after installing a new engine but most the heavy lifting is done!

IMG-4496.jpg

IMG-1622.jpg

Ah, warms my heart to see someone's Pops getting some press.

Not sure how much I shaved off weight wise but has to be over 100 lbs ditching all the iron parts.
I can't remember which magazine did it, but a BB Mopar w aluminum heads, intake, water pump housing, water pump, mini starter and headers supposedly weighs the same as a stock small block.

Last edited:
I can't remember which magazine did it, but a BB Mopar w aluminum heads, intake, water pump housing, water pump, mini starter and headers supposedly weighs the same as a stock small block.
That sounds about right, I will have to adjust my torsion bars now b/c it sits a lot higher now.

It's been a long 5 months but just wrapping up my 440 refresh for my 72 RR. Rebuilt the bottom end and upgraded to 440 Source CNC heads, aluminum water pump housing, mid length headers and aluminum radiator. Not sure how much I shaved off weight wise but has to be over 100 lbs ditching all the iron parts. Motor was painted orange before but took it back to corporate blue, really happy with the way it turned out. Tons of thanks to my pops!

Before rebuild shot:
View attachment 1355998

Detailed engine compartment, new harnesses, painted k member, new Steer N Gear firm steering box and rebuilt steering column:
View attachment 1355999

Mocking up headers/plug wires etc...etc... (heads were painted before installing in car)
View attachment 1356000

Near final product:
View attachment 1356001

Still have to have the exhaust hooked up, reinstall the hood and the other little tweaks after installing a new engine but most the heavy lifting is done!

View attachment 1356002

View attachment 1356003So dam beautiful!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back