• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Receiving $$ through Western Union ???

gkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
I know scammers love using Western Union for receiving money BUT can you be scammed by someone sending you money? Selling some stuff to a guy in Houston and he wants to pay with WU.

Some of the oldest, wisest advice you'll ever read on eBay, for example:
Never use Western Union to send or receive money.
Bank to bank transfer is the best way, of course. A Postal Money order is also good.

Yeah, I think using western union is a big red flag.

But I'm not seeing how "receiving" can be an issue. Just think about it ... virtually everyone who gets scammed has sent money and can't get it back. I'm on the receiving end!

And the reason I'm asking is 'cause yeah, Western Union is a big red flag !!

Not sure why he wants to use Western Union. I've had to send money in a emergency to family members via Western Union. Walmart is the lowest fee but as I recall it's like $9 on every $100. Let us know how you make out.

WU needs your bank account number to wire the money to. No way you should give that information to anyone.

WU needs your bank account number to wire the money to. No way you should give that information to anyone.
No they don't.

Just got off the phone with them locally. All seems pretty safe and secure at the receiving end. Sender specifies "cash pickup", I show up with a "pin" number they've given me and a "government i.d." such as a driver's license and voila - they hand over the cash.

Haven't used WU since 1981. My older brother use to send me and my Sister rent money the final months of University ....when we'd dipped too far into that fund after the beer account had run out! LOL

Ok - thought you were doing electronic transfer.

I don’t use Western Union. Their fee’s are crazy. I use Moneygram. Any post office has it plus Walmart and other businesse’s. Banks and Credit Unions. U get a reference number from the sender. U go to the bank or whoever has Moneygram give them the number and your drivers Licence. They give u cash or a money order. U can cash the m o at the bank. Kim

20 years ago I sold something on ebay for $4000. The buyer sent me the PIN. WU said that they had a limit of $1000 so I got 4 $1000 checks and cashed them there and sent the item.

If you're going to do it anyways, why ask for anyone elses' opnions?
Go.
Do.

I was on the receiving end of WU payment.

Piece of cake.

Your sender walks into a Walmart of their choice.

The receiver walks into a Walmart of their choice.
Sender sends money and supplies a code

Receiver gets a code and hands to Walmart teller.

Teller hands receiver money. Less a fee .
Sorry....don't remember fee costs but it isn't much.

Doesn't get much safer than that. IMO

When I worked in Mex we had a couple of guys that lived down there full time. They used WU all the time to send money to themselves in Mex. Did there banking in the states and wired money down there. Said it was easy peasy.

Auto Transport Service
Back