• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommend an epoxy primer

Sam69sat

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Need to take down to bare metal and epoxy prime for the first time. What are some decent brands to look into or they all pretty much the same?

cant go wrong with southern poly...... it sands easy and fills, it's the only primer I use throughout the entire job

Can't comment on SPI, have not used it , yet. In my beginning days I was advised to use PPG brand epoxy primers and since have tried two of the cheaper brands Mastercraft and Transtar, and PPG wins over them hands down. But will seek to get my hands on some SPI asap......

Can't comment on SPI, have not used it , yet. In my beginning days I was advised to use PPG brand epoxy primers and since have tried two of the cheaper brands Mastercraft and Transtar, and PPG wins over them hands down. But will seek to get my hands on some SPI asap......

I used a ppg epoxy exactly 1 time....... it was probably good for sealing and topcoating with somethind else; but I couldn't sand it....... wet, dry, da, didn't matter

PPG... DP 80, DP 90, grey, black, whatever suits the application.

PPG VP2050. DTM high build. Sands greats, couple steps in one.

Sounds like a could use some education on epoxy. I've used several epoxies but I primarily use it to seal up the bare metal then finish the bodywork with 2K primer because it sands so much better? All of the epoxies I've used have a pretty big window before you have to sand the epoxy at all before applying the next coat.

i use PPG had great results and you have 72 hours to top coat before you have to sand it

SPI....It has several days window to re coat or top coat without scuffing and it sands beautifully. Used it on two cars and two engines, no issues. It even has UV protection for use as an exposed surface. My 6 pack hood is SPI black w/ flattening agent.

Guys, I admit I am self taught and know nothing other than what I learned from car mags and others who had experience with automotive paint. But, I have never thought about sanding epoxy primer. I normally use it over bare metal or rusty metal that i have clean and sanded best possible. I thought that is what you wanted, a good protective coat, why sand it off? I coat that with whatever type sanding primer I choose to use for that job. I also have thinned it and used it as a sealer, hhhhmmmmnnn, maybe I need to learn up.
Now in watching you tube vids, I see the guys who just do a fender or hood or door on a newer car do all different than the 50 year old clunkers I resurrect .

Guys, I admit I am self taught and know nothing other than what I learned from car mags and others who had experience with automotive paint. But, I have never thought about sanding epoxy primer. I normally use it over bare metal or rusty metal that i have clean and sanded best possible. I thought that is what you wanted, a good protective coat, why sand it off? I coat that with whatever type sanding primer I choose to use for that job. I also have thinned it and used it as a sealer, hhhhmmmmnnn, maybe I need to learn up.
Now in watching you tube vids, I see the guys who just do a fender or hood or door on a newer car do all different than the 50 year old clunkers I resurrect .

I hate dust; but I like to sand it dry, with a durablock where I can.......... over bodywork, i sand it with 120 grit, touch up the bodywork where necessary and recoat it........ then 220/320 and a final sealer coat.

I used to have minor sink and shrinkage, the extra recoat/resand has eliminated all of it

multiple lighter coats are much better that a fat heavy one

We use PPG DP epoxy 90 ,50 ,40 with their 402 activator.
We use it as a base over metal then polyester prime over top for body work,
Also we use the same DP as a sealer but with a shot of reducer before base coat.
I don't sand it but will scuff with a scotch brite if needed.

SPI all day. Not only do the offer a great product, customer support is awesome and the web board is full of hands on knowledgeable people. Listen to eldubb440, he know his ****. Ugly as a motherfucker, but he knows his ****.

PPG for me. The thing to remember is it's best to use a complete system from start to finish.

Auto Transport Service
Back