• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epoxy primer question

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
Can I spray the epoxy on the car and leave it? I want to prime it during the winter and then do the body work. I believe you seal it when your done with the body work. I believe I will have to sand it all before sealing it for it to bond. I have a car port and it is all closed in. I did my fenders but they are in the house. I did not seal those. Im using Omni epoxy. 1st time priming and painting a car. thanks for the help. Dave

Epoxy will need to be sanded before another coat if you go past the window on the tech sheet. No idea how being outside will effect that product. I don think the PPG stuff has UV stuff in it. Sealing is typically the last coat before base or single stage paint.

You will need to scuff it if it sits for a while. What epoxy are you spraying?

If your useing 170 it is a decent product.
No primer / sealer should sit out through a winter even under a car port.
Can you use it for metal protection , yes but figure on knocking it all off next spring with the DA.
I would not paint over it.

the best advice for any specific product can be found on the tech sheet

Epoxy primer should hold up fine as per your layed out storage. As with any primer, it needs to be sanded before moving on to the next step in your finishing process.

Be warned ... epoxy primer is a bitch to sand - you'll go through discs like **** through a goose. Why do you need to prime it now, is it all bare metal? Unless its open to the elements like rain or snow, I'd just leave it as is till you're ready to get at it properly. Any bare metal will likely only flash rust, which is easier to deal with than sanding epoxy primer!

SPI epoxy sands pretty easy and doesn't clog the paper, fills good too......it's the only primer I use, start to finish........eazy peazy

Last edited:
I will get the data sheet tomorrow and read it. Thanks to all. Might wait till spring to prime. Whats the rush.

From my experience, gkent is spot on. Epoxy (at least PPG's JP37x), is bitch to sand and gums up paper like that is it's job. I usually epoxy the whole car and then work on areas at my leisure. Just my preference. Some areas went over 3 months before I got back to a particular panel. No problems but that was in an enclosed garage but there was humidity to deal with.

You mention "before sealing it". Not sure if you are talking about applying an actual "sealer" or a high build primer used as a sealer. FWIW I would use high build primer, block it to your satisfaction, and then use a sealer (light for light color paint and dark for darker paints) to seal and even out any color differences from glaze, etc. Then your BC or SS.

page1image14203200

®
MP17x
Series Epoxy Primers

Background

OMNI® MP17x Series Epoxy Primers are two-component, non-chrome epoxies designed to provide superior corrosion protection and adhesion when applied over properly cleaned and sanded bare metal, fiberglass and painted surfaces. They are available in gray, white or black
Components Primer
MP170 Epoxy Primer - Gray MP171 Epoxy Primer - White MP172 Epoxy Primer - Black
Compatible Products
Can be applied over:
Properly cleaned, sanded, bare or primed steel, galvanized and aluminum.
Sanded and cleaned body filler, SMC and gel-coated fiberglass
Properly cleaned and sanded E-coat
Cleaned, cured and sanded OEM and refinish coatings. MP178 Plastic Primer
MP243 Polyester Primer
MP281 1K Light Gray Primer Surfacer
MP182 2K Urethane Surfacer
MP282 High Build 2K Primer Surfacer
*Note: MP17x Series Epoxy Primers should not be applied over MP176 Etch Primer
Preparation
Surface Cleaning:
MX190 Cleaner
MX192 Plastic Cleaner
SXA330 Wax and Grease Remover
SWX350 (H2O-SO-CLEAN®) Waterborne Pre-Cleaner

Catalyst
MP175 Epoxy Primer Catalyst
Reducer
Acetone (optional)

Can be topcoated with:
MP243 Polyester Primer
MP281 1K Light Gray Primer Surfacer MP182 2K Urethane Surfacer
MP282 High Build 2K Primer Surfacer MP213 GP Sealer
MP23x 2K Urethane Sealers
MBP Omni Plus Acrylic Urethane Basecoat MBC Acrylic Basecoat
MTK Acrylic Urethane Single Stage
MAE Acrylic Enamel
MAE Acrylic Enamel with Hardener
Sanding
120 - 180 grit on bare metal
220 - 320 grit on old finishes, body filler.

Mixing

Ratios:
Note: Pot Life:
Additives:
MP17x Series
: :
MP175 : 1 :
Acetone* up to 1⁄2 part

*Optional
Allow a 15 minute induction period before applying 8 hours at 70°F (21°C)
None

www.ppgrefinish.com

1700866818126.png

From my experience, gkent is spot on. Epoxy (at least PPG's JP37x), is bitch to sand and gums up paper like that is it's job. I usually epoxy the whole car and then work on areas at my leisure. Just my preference. Some areas went over 3 months before I got back to a particular panel. No problems but that was in an enclosed garage but there was humidity to deal with.

You mention "before sealing it". Not sure if you are talking about applying an actual "sealer" or a high build primer used as a sealer. FWIW I would use high build primer, block it to your satisfaction, and then use a sealer (light for light color paint and dark for darker paints) to seal and even out any color differences from glaze, etc. Then your BC or SS.

View attachment 1562877
®
MP17x
Series Epoxy Primers

Background

OMNI® MP17x Series Epoxy Primers are two-component, non-chrome epoxies designed to provide superior corrosion protection and adhesion when applied over properly cleaned and sanded bare metal, fiberglass and painted surfaces. They are available in gray, white or black
Components Primer
MP170 Epoxy Primer - Gray MP171 Epoxy Primer - White MP172 Epoxy Primer - Black
Compatible Products
Can be applied over:
Properly cleaned, sanded, bare or primed steel, galvanized and aluminum.
Sanded and cleaned body filler, SMC and gel-coated fiberglass
Properly cleaned and sanded E-coat
Cleaned, cured and sanded OEM and refinish coatings. MP178 Plastic Primer
MP243 Polyester Primer
MP281 1K Light Gray Primer Surfacer
MP182 2K Urethane Surfacer
MP282 High Build 2K Primer Surfacer
*Note: MP17x Series Epoxy Primers should not be applied over MP176 Etch Primer
Preparation
Surface Cleaning:
MX190 Cleaner
MX192 Plastic Cleaner
SXA330 Wax and Grease Remover
SWX350 (H2O-SO-CLEAN®) Waterborne Pre-Cleaner

Catalyst
MP175 Epoxy Primer Catalyst
Reducer
Acetone (optional)

Can be topcoated with:
MP243 Polyester Primer
MP281 1K Light Gray Primer Surfacer MP182 2K Urethane Surfacer
MP282 High Build 2K Primer Surfacer MP213 GP Sealer
MP23x 2K Urethane Sealers
MBP Omni Plus Acrylic Urethane Basecoat MBC Acrylic Basecoat
MTK Acrylic Urethane Single Stage
MAE Acrylic Enamel
MAE Acrylic Enamel with Hardener
Sanding
120 - 180 grit on bare metal
220 - 320 grit on old finishes, body filler.

Mixing

Ratios:
Note: Pot Life:
Additives:
MP17x Series
: :
MP175 : 1 :
Acetone* up to 1⁄2 part

*Optional
Allow a 15 minute induction period before applying 8 hours at 70°F (21°C)
None

www.ppgrefinish.com

View attachment 1562882
What I meant on sealer is you prime the metal then let it dry. You reduce the epoxy and spray again and it seals it. Hope that makes sense. Im using omni mp170 and omni mp175 2 to 1 mix

Yup, that epoxy can be used as a sealer and is designed to improve topcoat holdout. I have never personally used epoxy for that so I have no knowledge of how well it actually works.
Sprayed a lot of epoxy, but not as the final coat before BC or SS. However, it sounds like it should work.

Auto Transport Service
Back