• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refinish exhaust manifolds

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
I want to refinish my "70" HP exhaust manifolds. What's the best procedure to get them looking "new".

Remove the rust and leave them bare, that’s what they looked like when new. They were not painted cast iron gray from the factory.

I want to refinish my "70" HP exhaust manifolds. What's the best procedure to get them looking "new".
Eastwood makes an exhaust manifold gray paint, or jet hot, cerakote etc. Unless you want keep cleaning them because that's the way they came from the factory.

I use POR 15 cast blast after bead blasting. When put back on the car and brought to operating temperature, they cure and look just like original cast iron. My Superbird has been done for over 20 years and they still look like the day it was finished.

Somewhere Fluidfilm was mentioned as a good option to preserve the bare metal look. Or am I mistaken?

Get them blasted really well and go with the Eastwood manifold paint, I have been using that stuff for over 25yrs and it really holds up well. And if you start to get a spot that is a little rusty you can use some sand paper and clean it up again then just brush on a little more manifold paint.

I think Calyx looks best, it'll stay looking good for 6-7 years then slowly age.

I just used KBS XTC ( XTC - High Temperature Paint - Header Paint - Stove Paint - Grill Paint ) on a john deere exhaust manifold on our ranches 4230....I've got 10 hours of run time on it since the in-frame and reassembly and it looks great, but I don't think the john deere's exhaust manifold gets as hot as the manifolds on the 440 in my 70 coronet r/t

I have a different question now. I have a set of Tony's repop "70" exhaust manifolds. What can i do to keep them looking new if I install them on a 440 ??

I have a different question now. I have a set of Tony's repop "70" exhaust manifolds. What can i do to keep them looking new if I install them on a 440 ??

I don't think you can keep them looking exactly new, but with Calyx they'll look great but will still need some touching up every now and then.

I used Eastwood on my manifolds. Here are before and after pics. After about a year of regular driving, the manifolds still looked as good as the day I refinished them.
engine.jpeg
motor.jpeg

here's what the KBS product looked like freshy applied...It still looks the same after a few heat cycles and 10-12 hrs of run time.

JD_4230_46.jpg

Dry graphite spray lube is another option. Spay them down & let them dry, after sandblasting of coarse. Last forever unless a solvent gets on them but it wont burn off & looks natural.

i hit on something by accident. i used a stainless steel wire brush attached to my air grinder. i just worked it good and apparently burnished some of the stainless in. i did a ceramic coat thing and it burnt off in a few years. the only catch i can see to what i have is i started with very good manifolds.

Is there a clearcoat suitable for high temp manifolds ??

Auto Transport Service
Back