• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refinishing the "Plymouth" emblems

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
You guys may already know about this but here goes.

The "Plymouth" emblems on the hood and trunk of my GTX were looking pretty bad. There was no corrosion but they were dull and the black paint had seen better days.

I took them off and cleaned them up removing all the built up wax. Then I filed down the jagged edges on the top and bottom to even out the letters. Then I gave them 2 light coats of gloss black covering the entire emblem. After letting them dry thoroughly I used steel wool to remove the paint from the chrome face. Not only did it remove the paint but the steel wool really polished the chrome face nicely. They came out spectacularly. :eusa_dance:

IMG_2077.jpg

great idea about filing down the ragged edges, i thought about that at one time also, now maybe i'll do it:)

I forgot to mention that when you are removing the paint with the steel wool, rub in one direction like you are grating cheese or like you are starting a fire using a flint.

Nice, looks new again.

There is a product that MrG fasteners in Ft Worth uses and sells for that type of work. When he rechromed his plastic dashes and other pieces they came back all chrome. So he has this liquid and a tiny roller to apply this film to the parts he wanted to keep chrome then he would repaint the woodgrain and let it dry. Then he goes back and peelsoff the protective film and the chrome edges arenice new chrome and have no traces of paint with no possabilityof scratching the thin vaccuchrome. This wouldwork well for that job also the wjhole deal procuct and applicator runs about 10-20 bucks and will do bunches of trim.

Auto Transport Service
Back