• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rekeying glove box lock

Mike Szadaj

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
When I restored my car, I bought a set of keys and locks that included ignition, doors, and trunk. I could not find a set that included the glove box. I have had three keys for my car, and while not a big deal, I always wondered if anything could be done about that. I picked up a lock and key at an estate sale for $.50. At that price, I figured what the heck, And I took it apart. The first picture shows the style of lock I have in my 68 RT.
In the second picture, I am showing the collar that was press fit on. I knocked it off with a screwdriver and hammer.
The next picture shows the push button removed. The three little tabs on the top are sticking out a little because there is no key in the lock. When the lock is engaged, those three little tabs sticking out prevent the button from being pushed in.
The next picture shows an incorrect key inserted, and you can see tabs on the top and bottom sticking out.
The next picture shows the correct key inserted and you can see the tabs are now flush.
The next picture shows the little tabs taken out of the core. The keys go through the little rectangular hole. It is impossible to tell in the picture, but each of the tabs is slightly different. The top and the bottom, is shorter, and /or longer, To coincide with the hills and valleys on the key.
By changing which tab was in which slot, I found a combination that almost fit my trunk key. One of the tabs was perfect, one stuck out a little on the top, and one stuck out a little on the bottom. I took a grinder to those two and made them flush. I now have a functioning glove box lock that uses the same key as the trunk.

IMG_2628.jpeg

IMG_2623.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

IMG_2626.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

Last edited:
WAY easier to re-key the trunk lock to match the existing glove box lock, which you said had a key, right?

I've had cars in the past that didn't have matching key sets and really didn't care too much about the vehicle....so I just removed the tumblers all together. That way any key would work as long as it fit into the cylinder. I would do either doors or trunk, but never the ignition. I never carried anything of value in the vehicle anyway and just the perception of needing a key would deter those who weren't serious about getting into the vehicle. Those who are determined......a locked door wouldn't stop them anyway.

You can usually get 4 of the 6 pins to work with whatever key you have.

Better than nothing.

Auto Transport Service
Back