• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

remove oil pickup tube

Frankb

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Need some advise. I cannot get the oil pickup tube out of this 440. Engine was built in 2011 so its been there for about 13 years. This is a 1/2 inch tube. The machine shop who built the engine enlarged the opening to 1/2 so I have to assume it was done correctly. I have tried vice grips, channel locks, hammer, and heat but I cant get this thing to break free. I have already bent the tube and I'm afraid it might break. Not much room to work so getting good angles is difficult. For heat I used a propane torch on the housing. Looking for ideas.
tube 1.jpg

I would heat the block and use MAP gas as it is a bit hotter. Hope they did not use red Loctite.

Always used a small quality pipe wrench, like an 8" Ridgid, to remove the really tight ones. However, though it may just be the photo, but if it was installed, heated by the threaded base and then bent, and now would hit the block as unscrewed, it may be tricky and require the reverse procedure. Do you have to pull it for a complete rebuild or some problem?

The car had a Milodon 7 quart pan. It was too low and I put a hole in it. Changing over to a hemi pan. The hemi pan is 5.5 inches so it requires a different pickup tube.

Always used a small quality pipe wrench, like an 8" Ridgid, to remove the really tight ones. However, though it may just be the photo, but if it was installed, heated by the threaded base and then bent, and now would hit the block as unscrewed, it may be tricky and require the reverse procedure. Do you have to pull it for a complete rebuild or some problem?
I agree with the above statement. But, if all else fails cut it off and use a easy-out.
Mike

One method I use to remove frozen bolts/studs/pipeplugs/etc.. is to TIGHTEN the item until you just feel it move, then reverse to remove. Trying to remove a stuck fastener usually results in a broken bolt or stripped head/socket. Tightening slightly tends to break them free, then you can remove them most times. I also hope they didn't use "Red" Loc-Tite as that is going to make your life difficult. Good luck with this...

Thanks 69bee. I tried that also but no joy. Could not get it to budge either way. I'm going to use more heat and try the pipe wrench today

Followup: I finally got this out. Used map gas for about 10 minutes. I think it burned the lock-tight out. Then I used a hammer to beat the tube and it finally budged. Thanks for your input.

If you want to clean threads with a tap it may not be npt. It isn't a factory 1/2" might want to be careful.

Auto Transport Service
Back