• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing bench seat with rusty bolts

d9103365

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
I need to remove my bench seat so I can recover it and install carpet. After looking under the rails, I noticed that the four bolts holding it in are pretty rusty, and appear wallowed out in some cases.

Any tricks of the trade I can use to remove these? Can or should these be unbolted from underneath the floor or just unscrew them from the top?

I believe these bolts have nuts underneath the floor. Do I remove the bolts from up top or the nuts from underneath?

You need to liberally spray some lubricant or penetrant over the studs underneath, and undo the nuts after allowing them to soak.

The studs are fixed into the seat frame.

They may have undercoat and grime on them...Take a wire wheel to them and soak as Roger said above..Also apply some heat as well...

If you break the studs which is easy to do then it is not hard to weld in new ones.
Very true and sometimes even if they do not break the studs may have to be replaced due to damaged threads..

Auto Transport Service
Back