• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing pipe thread hose fittings

Congrats!
Oh, but please - TELL me you didn't re-use the thing! :praying:
Lol! Nope, ain't using it, just saying the fitting came out clean. I'm inserting pipe plug fittings for now anyway until such time that might never arrive at my age, I re-tackle the heater core valve leak under the dash. After rebuilding the valve, just couldn't get the friggin drip-leak to stop. So as it was/is, I only drive the car during warm dry weather anyway. Having the core bypassed, I maybe count two occasions where defrost woulda been real nice in the last 3 years...later fall shows in my locale leaving early morning. Here's a photo of the internal wrench and about how deep I was able to insert it to remove that sucker. Tap extractors being tapered wouldn't allow me to get it deep enough figuring I'd just mangle the chit out of it and have the threaded portion to get out somehow likely requiring removing the intake.

Internal Wrench Fitting (2).jpg

yes they are cute but (so is a 6” rigid pipe wrench) they haven’t failed me yet and I’m somewhat of a pipe fitter myself been running conduit of all types my whole career as an IBEW journeyman electrician.
:thumbsup:
Oh man, a UNION tube boy?!?
Easy Tiger, don't go filing a grievance on me.... :)

Lol! Nope, ain't using it, just saying the fitting came out clean. I'm inserting pipe plug fittings for now anyway until such time that might never arrive at my age, I re-tackle the heater core valve leak under the dash. After rebuilding the valve, just couldn't get the friggin drip-leak to stop. So as it was/is, I only drive the car during warm dry weather anyway. Having the core bypassed, I maybe count two occasions where defrost woulda been real nice in the last 3 years...later fall shows in my locale leaving early morning. Here's a photo of the internal wrench and about how deep I was able to insert it to remove that sucker. Tap extractors being tapered wouldn't allow me to get it deep enough figuring I'd just mangle the chit out of it and have the threaded portion to get out somehow likely requiring removing the intake.

View attachment 1008291
Yep, those old nipples are malleable as hell, especially after years of corrosion.
Easy to "egg" them by using conventional tools (like my baby pipe wrench - but then, hey, I know what
I'm doing :) ).
I used to do the pipe plug thing on mine, too - but I don't actually have a leaky heater core (yet), just
a rotten heater box that doesn't work the blend door, so I put ball valves in the hoses and just shut
them off in spring, then back on in fall.

Lots of heat.
Internal pipe wrench might work.
Screenshot_20240208_140442_Adblock Browser.jpg

I would rather buy a new water pump housing lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back