• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing wiper motor

Milesdodge

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Trying to remove the wiper motor (3 speed) from my 67 Coronet. I e read threads but there seems to be contradictory advice. Do I have to undo a nut that is just barely visible on the end on the motor from inside the engine bay having removed the 3 retaining nuts, or do I have to mess with the clip under the dash on the linkage?
My options are a bit limited as the motor is jammed and nothing on the linkage/wiper arms will move.

6E7E5C4B-4496-424E-A0B1-607A0A81318A.jpeg

Either - nut or clip. Nut is probably easier from under the dash. Snug the motor back down first so its not fighting you.

The photo is not of the motor ! Put those nuts back on.

Either - nut or clip. Nut is probably easier from under the dash. Snug the motor back down first so its not fighting you.
Ok, from the angle I’m looking at I can’t see the nut. With the motor retaining bolts removed I can pull the motor out and just about see the nit from the engine bay, but only just. would prefer to undo the nut rather than mess with the clip.

Just reach up under the dash with a wrench and undo the nut. It has a captive locking washer so once you break it loose it will come off by hand. I think its a 1/2" nut.

Just reach up under the dash with a wrench and undo the nut. It has a captive locking washer so once you break it loose it will come off by hand. I think its a 1/2" nut.
Thanks so, the nut is hidden from sight due to the plate that connects to the linkage as in the first pic?
Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, but I couldn’t see a nut from working thru the glove box aperture.

Look at the mechanism from the driver’s side. Look up under the dash and you will see the back of the motor. Then you can get at the nut.
Did your wipers work prior to this. If not there is a possibility that the pivot shafts are seized. Once you get the motor out, try and move the mechanism back and forth. It is quite easy to take the clips off.

Look at the mechanism from the driver’s side. Look up under the dash and you will see the back of the motor. Then you can get at the nut.
Did your wipers work prior to this. If not there is a possibility that the pivot shafts are seized. Once you get the motor out, try and move the mechanism back and forth. It is quite easy to take the clips off.
Thanks. As the car has AC it’s virtually impossible to see anything from under the drivers side, but I’ll take a fresh look from underneath tomorrow.
The wipers are definitely frozen, whether as a function of the seized or elsewhere remains to be seen. Hoping it’s the motor as that has failed all tests to start it.

Thanks. As the car has AC it’s virtually impossible to see anything from under the drivers side, but I’ll take a fresh look from underneath tomorrow.
The wipers are definitely frozen, whether as a function of the seized or elsewhere remains to be seen. Hoping it’s the motor as that has failed all tests to start it.

If my, here is my advice.
Disconnect the motor from the arms.
Turn on the wipers, see if the motor is working, you might be able to hear it, I wouldn’t hear it. If that is working, then it will be your pivots. I have a set of seized pivots, that have been soaking for over a month, nothing has worked. They are a test set.
Detroit Muscle Technologies make a very good gasket/seal set for the wiper and motor.
Canada used to have favourable trade with UK. Nationalmoparts in Beaverton Ontario sell DMT products and others. Very good to deal with. Don’t know if this helps or not.
Hope this helps.

If my, here is my advice.
Disconnect the motor from the arms.
Turn on the wipers, see if the motor is working, you might be able to hear it, I wouldn’t hear it. If that is working, then it will be your pivots. I have a set of seized pivots, that have been soaking for over a month, nothing has worked. They are a test set.
Detroit Muscle Technologies make a very good gasket/seal set for the wiper and motor.
Canada used to have favourable trade with UK. Nationalmoparts in Beaverton Ontario sell DMT products and others. Very good to deal with. Don’t know if this helps or not.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I see what you mean now. I’m assuming dead motor when it could be seized pivots which would give the same result! Good thinking, I’ll start afresh with this info. Much appreciated.

Since you have air conditioning you probably need to remove the radio then go through the opening to get to the back of the wiper motor and remove the nut. Without air conditioning it's a whole lot easier.

I've always been able to remove the nut by getting the motor loose and pulling it forward into the engine compartment.
A flat wrench and I can get the nut off.
Just make sure to not the position of the linkage arm on the back of the motor (it can be installed 180 off).

Since you have air conditioning you probably need to remove the radio then go through the opening to get to the back of the wiper motor and remove the nut. Without air conditioning it's a whole lot easier.
Yes, reckon the air con will go soon, already removed the dead parts from the motor side.

Ok, thought I’d update as you guys have helped with this.
The wiper motor is now out and refuses to work either in the car or bench tested.
I’m now more concerned about the wiper pivots as mentioned further up the thread: I can’t move either wiper even though the mechanism is Disconnected

Likely the wiper pivots are seized up and burned out the motor.
The 1-2 punch.

Likely the wiper pivots are seized up and burned out the motor.
The 1-2 punch.
Yep, I reckon so. Any ideas on how to loosen up the wiper pivots? I’ve ordered some PB Blaster, but I’m concerned about the drivers side pivot as I can’t access it from inside the car due to the AC equipment.

Yep, I reckon so. Any ideas on how to loosen up the wiper pivots? I’ve ordered some PB Blaster, but I’m concerned about the drivers side pivot as I can’t access it from inside the car due to the AC equipment.
I think you might have removed some of the AC ductwork. I might have mentioned that I have a pair of pivots that I have been trying to loosen up for a year. Don’t need them, just took the challenge. I am sure someone will have an extra working pair they would sell. I have some on cars, but won’t get to them until the snow goes down in the spring.

If you can't loosen up the pivots, why not grind off where they attach to the arm, pry the arm off and try to press the shaft out. You just might be able to clean them up enough to make them useable again. You could possibly resleeve them with a bronze bushing. Weld the arms back on. Y'know ... if they're trash anyway !!

Auto Transport Service
Back