• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repainting a small part

ksurfer2

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
Recently I had the front end of my 69 roadrunner rebuilt (steering linkages, struts, ball joints, disc brake conversion). After I picked the car up, I noticed the shop failed to reinstall two small (about 4 inch square) access panels on each fender well. I contacted the shop, and they still had them. After picking them up, it looks like they could use use a repaint. The exposed areas look good, but where they overlap with the fender wells show some corrosion. I don't own any equipment to properly spray auto paint. It will be easy enough to prep these pieces, but what is the best way to refinish them? Are there any "kits" available that would allow for this type of work? Any advise is much appreciated.
access ports.jpg

Most automotive paint suppliers can mix/match your color and put it in a spray can. I've seen them do it with BC and SS catalyzed finishes. The can will have a button that you hit that activates the catalyst. They will also offer the appropriate primer needed. Just let them know what your doing, most are eager to help.

Are those access panels for cam adjusters, right? Unless a restoration rattle can primer and paint. Did engine compartment get repainted with them on?

Are those access panels for cam adjusters, right? Unless a restoration rattle can primer and paint. Did engine compartment get repainted with them on?

I purchased the car complete. The engine compartment appears to have been painted with the access panels in place. here is a pic, you can see the panel on the fender well on the passenger side.
engine.jpeg

Last edited:
Were they painted body color from the factory? If they were black, just use a semi gloss black. I like the Duplicolor semi gloss. Advanced auto.

The correct way to paint them is to blast or sand very well to get rid of all rust traces even in the pits. Use some kind of etching primer, seal them, then paint them with 30 degree gloss black.

The correct way to paint them is to blast or sand very well to get rid of all rust traces even in the pits. Use some kind of etching primer, seal them, then paint them with 30 degree gloss black.
Is black correct? Or body color? A google search shows about a 50/50 split in pics I could find. This isn't a true restoration, just a nice driver quality A-12 clone. I would like to keep it as true to correct as I can though.

I think 30 degree gloss black is correct. That is what most black trim parts were painted. The big thing in mopars is that certain plants did it one way the next did it completely different.

I’m thinking my ‘68 panels were body color on engine side & black/rustproofing on wheel side. Rustproofing was very hit/miss back in the day.

The access covers were basically painted with a cheap grade of gloss black paint in my opinion on both sides. They were probably simply dipped back in the day. So as mentioned above, 30% reduction of gloss black would be close. Some people refer to such a color as a chassis black. The covers were never painted body color from the factory. Whoever was painting the engine bay took the easy route and left them in place when spraying the area.

The access covers were basically painted with a cheap grade of gloss black paint in my opinion on both sides. They were probably simply dipped back in the day. So as mentioned above, 30% reduction of gloss black would be close. Some people refer to such a color as a chassis black. The covers were never painted body color from the factory. Whoever was painting the engine bay took the easy route and left them in place when spraying the area.
Where’s Justin,lol. I’m just trying to remember 50yrs ago!

Last edited:
I have found heavy runs in quite a few of them. They were dipped in whatever black paint shade the vat had in it. The black(s) had a range so you will get a number of answers. Some may even tell you that hemi cars were done a special mixture also. Since you don't have the equipment just do the powder coat route. They will blast it for you also.

It would make sense for all access covers to just be black, one less thing for assy.line to worry about; but Ma Mopar did some strange things.

The bodies were painted before the suspension install. These would be installed after the suspension install and alignment so there's no way they should be body color - that would have meant painting them seperately (no way) or removing them to install the suspension (added labor - no way). as mentioned, paint 'em rattlecan satin black. Since they were originally dipped, paint runs are acceptable. Now you just have to figure which screw hole they were hung from!!

Our 67 was black on both sides. No body color as stated.

Easy fix.

Thanks to all who replied. Black it is. I will post some pics this weekend after I have finished.

Auto Transport Service
Back