• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Steering Gear

SMS68

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Just a warning. Classic Industries, and others, are selling this Cardone power steering gear as a direct replacement.

It does NOT fit my 71 RR. The position of the spline that mates with the steering coupler is more than a half inch shorter than the original. It was visibly short when I took it out of the box.

Test fit today and, even with the coupler fully extended and the steering column as far forward as it will go in the brackets, the coupler will not be far enough on the splines to get the roll pin in.

Classic is already sending me a return authorization but I wanted to test fit just to make sure. Glad I did. The price was right but it was too good to be true.

AF72F85B-1E0F-479F-A382-53C00572DC05.jpeg
C59F66F4-6815-4EDD-B76C-E62F3EC99E96.jpeg
B3D7E033-0B86-40F5-8E33-1632D6EF3DB4.jpeg

I have purchased, from two separate vendors, cardone 2 speed wiper motors. Both claimed originals rebuilt and had images of the original. Both were the new aftermarket when they arrived. Can't go by images OR what is stated.

You messed up. It's supposed to go in the trunk. Fits perfectly there. HA! If you are after a properly reman'd stocker, try Firm Feel, Steer and Gear or Redhead.

Do it once and update the steering with a smaller, faster ratio box that is lighter and doesn’t leak. The feel of the box is way more modern than any antique box can offer regardless of the rebuilder.

Experienced the exact same, but from Carid. My mistake was not realizing it was the wrong part till 6 months later. Didn't have my original gear box to compare to the unit received and purported to be the proper replacement, as I hadn't gotten around to pulling mine out of my car. Their photo of the part on their website is the correct gear, but the one they sent me is different. They can't even tell me which gear it is from photos I sent them. Is anyone able to identify this gear?

unknown power steering gear.JPG

Unknown steering gear.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back