• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing full quarters on a 1969 Satellite- couple questions

bbudnyk

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
starting to fit my quarter panels and found that there is a bracket in the way when I go to place the quarter. My questions are as follows:
1. Can the bracket in the picture be removed and reinstalled after the quarter is on?
2. Is there any tricks to getting the quarter panel under the roof skin? It's pretty tight against the support underneath and should I just gently pry it away?
3. I'm fitting the outer rocker. Are there any tricks or tips for final install?

Thanks in advance

upload_2021-1-10_22-9-54.png

Last edited:
The quarter does not go under the roof skin - probably the reason you're have trouble with that bracket. The worst fitting areas are at the quarterpanel extensions (taillight housings).

I notice that you have both quarters cut off and everything in the back is swaying in the breeze?
Not good! You need to support everything BEFORE you cut them off, and then keep everything
supported until you put them back on. OOPS! And take the deck lid hinges out and remove the
torsion bars. There's alot of force in them twisting the "Dutchman Panel".

There isn't anything "swaying in the breeze". Everything is spot welded in place and can't move. The body is on a rack and can't move. The frame rails and truck floor haven't been touched. Everything gets positioned and the body gaps get set before final install. The torsion bars put force on the truck lid arms and don't put force on the Dutchman panel. They put force on the supports underneath. Finally the quarter panel goes underneath the roof skin.
Is there anyone that's done this and can answer my question regarding the picture I posted?

Well EXCU-U-U-U-U-USE us !!! Maybe you should try some other site !!!

As for your bracket the quarter panel will roll over the top. Grabbing the rocker panel area up and away from the car Will allow you to get around the bracket.
As for the lead seam you will have to bend it up and away from the bracing. I was not able to get panel fully under about 2 inches away from drip rail. This area I notched out and butt welded. Also trim and notched at the window gutter. It gets ugly before it gets pretty if you know what I mean

Last edited:
starting to fit my quarter panels and found that there is a bracket in the way when I go to place the quarter. My questions are as follows:
1. Can the bracket in the picture be removed and reinstalled after the quarter is on?
2. Is there any tricks to getting the quarter panel under the roof skin? It's pretty tight against the support underneath and should I just gently pry it away?
3. I'm fitting the outer rocker. Are there any tricks or tips for final install?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1053186
Yes, the quarter does fit under the roof skin. Just a case of wiggling it under. As for the small bracket, I usually remove it, then weld it back in once the quarter is all fit and installed. ALWAYS have your doors and trunklid installed, perfectly aligned, before removing the original quarters, and DO NOT remove them. They are absolutely necessary for aligning the new quarter panels to. I always do one side at a time so you have a baseline and reference. Removing too many panels at once is a recipe for disaster. Also, I like to replace the rockers one at a time, before replacing the quarters, I remove the lower section of the quarter that wraps over the rocker, for access, and I weld a brace across the door opening to ensure nothing moves when the original outer rocker is removed. And again, ALWAYS have the doors installed, aligned correctly, and DO NOT remove them until all panel replacement is completed

I ran across this same deal a few nights ago.

Right or wrong, Here are the conclusions I came to:
The quarter panel definitely goes under the roof skin.

Not 100% sure but I believe the hockey stick shaped brackets are actually intended to be "hangers" and were put there to make it easier (for the assembly line, not you and me).

There are different ways to get it done.

The way I did it: remove 4 to 6 inches worth of the spot welds holding the back of the drip rail on and slightly bend the drip rail downward, which will then help create enough room to swing the quarter up and sneak it under the roof skin, and over the top of the hockey stick shaped bracket. I did that and got the quarter fitted and pinned in place, now I can remove it and fix everything else behind it. When the time comes to weld the quarter, when I'm done with that I will hammer/dolly the drip rail back into place and plug weld in the factory locations.

You could also cut the bracket off at the factory spot welds and then re-do those welds from the inside of the car after you fit the quarter. They don't look super difficult to access. I've seen youtubers do it that way. I have a roll bar in the car and it's hard for me to climb back there, so I avoid it.

You could actually also chop the drip rail off cleanly and weld it back on to create enough space to replace the quarter. Too much extra work for me.

I don't believe the bracket has anything to do with structure....pretty sure it is just a hanger bracket for the assembly line
and wouldn't blame anyone for totally deleting it. That said, I still wanted it there.

As said above, doors and decklid fit has to be right on the money, and those pieces are your best reference.

Last edited:
I'll echo Rich H. I do remove the brackets and replace them after. I've done upwards of 20 plus sets.....right or wrong, it works for me.
I will point you to one other I respect in the FBBO community @eldubb440, he knows his stuff and is always a good resource.

so did you end up removing these hangers? I will be doing mine soon and one has been already removed and I have the replacement on the bench.. didn't know if this helped aline it a bit better when you go into fitment.

I left the bracket on when i did my 68s quarter. I think i remember tipping the quarter one way to get around or over it first then sliding the quarter into place everywhere else. Been a while but definately left it in place.

I left the bracket on when i did my 68s quarter. I think i remember tipping the quarter one way to get around or over it first then sliding the quarter into place everywhere else. Been a while but definately left it in place.
great thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back