• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Heating & Radiator Hoses

Was planning on using a channel locks but will see what they go for. Hopefully this is a 1x project.
I just built an all original 340 engine using the wire spring, (Corbin style) o.e.m. clamps. I had one 'launch' out of my channel locks and put a knot on my forehead, and I am very reluctant to believe anyone. Anyhew, I bought the special Corbin clamp tool, for 15 bucks, the job is 10X easier. Replace an eye, ......what 50 bucks maybe for a genuine glass one? We don't need no stinking patches....Lol...

I'm in the process of restoring my '75 Road Runner. I factory ordered the car and I still own it today. The lower rad hose until now had never been replaced. It had the spring in it, and the new hose will therefore have the spring installed. I think the real purpose of the spring is to prevent the lower hose from collapsing when it gets older and weaker. A collapsed hose will lead to an overheated engine and will put you on the hook for sure. Do yourself a huge favour and replace the original clamps with original style Corbin clamps. Strap clamps will eventually loosen and leak.

Do yourself an even bigger favour and buy a pair of Corbin clamp pliers. Wear eye protection or better yet, a face shield when you change the hoses and clamps. I really don't want to read here that someone lost an eye or has a huge facial scar because of a Corbin clamp that got its freedom from a pair of ordinary pliers.

Be careful where you get your parts. You want your Corbin clamps to be strong enough to actually seal the hoses.

I wanted to use all Corbin clamps on my 65 but, even with 2 clamps, new hoses, new T-stat housing I couldn't stop the top hose leak. A Gates Power Grip did. Had to use one on the water pump inlet too. Of course this is a daily driver not a show car.
Mike

I wanted to use all Corbin clamps on my 65 but, even with 2 clamps, new hoses, new T-stat housing I couldn't stop the top hose leak. A Gates Power Grip did. Had to use one on the water pump inlet too. Of course this is a daily driver not a show car.
Mike

The repop set I bought for the GTX went in the trash because the clamps were out of round and not springy at all. Two leaked and all were tossed out.

Auto Transport Service
Back