• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing my old small compressor decissions

snakeyes

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
just lost lost my 50 year old small air compressor due to a small pin hole ,looked for replacement tank and there nuts for what there asking so looking for a small 5hp 30 gallon tank ,I have a larger stationary one but need that smaller portable unit also looked at a Craftsman , Kobalt and now going to look at more, what do you guys like for the smaller portables brand wise and up right or horizontales this is why Im looking to replace it this company wants over $738.00
3Z409_AS01?hei=536&wid=536&$adapimg$=.jpg

I just went through the same thing. They wanted 1700 for a 80 gallon tank??? Took it to my local welding shop and fixed the pin hole than put a whole new bottom over the top of the existing tank. Pressure tested it a 180 psi good to go. Yeah I know your "not" suppose to weld a high pressure vessel, but mine was a pretty heavy tank. A oldie 1979 IR. Don't make them like that anymore. Did the valves over when I had it all tore apart. Went from 14 minutes to 5 minutes from 0 psi to 130 psi.
You would be able to get a whole new AC for that price from HF or farm supply wouldn't you? And a nice one at that.

3.JPG 1.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited:
I haven’t priced a compressor in quite a while...... but doing some on line surfing for the tanks shows them to be some kinda stupid $$$.

About 30 years ago I bought a 30gal single stage(115psi) “5hp” compressor.
Two cylinder, iron pump case and cylinders...... the heads are aluminum (iirc).
It was a “Puma” brand.
I ported a lot of heads with that thing for a couple of years. If you were running the grinder pretty fast, the compressor ran non-stop.
It was $399.

I still have it, and have had to press it into service a few times while the $2700 Champion was getting some repairs.

Last edited:
Bomgarrs has Quincy, Dewalt, and industrial air if one is near you. The Dewalt 1.9 running hp was just on sale for $319. The newer small compressors are sometimes rated that way, it is best to go by amp draw to get an idea to compare to what you have.

I "knew" a guy who repaired his compressor tank.... When it blew up and hit him in the head one day, he was gone.......

The big Quincy's that have the 5 horse motors with the 1 1/8" shaft are killer

Depending on how big the hole(s) are in your tank, and your level of "safety consciousness" is, you could try this:
My tank was always losing pressure slowly, but steadily, after running. Noticed the wet spots on concrete, and I found a few spots with pin holes on the bottom, from not draining the tank. To hold me over, I used some fine thread, self tapping screws, with a washer and inner tube gasket, some Permatex sealant, and plugged them. That was years ago and still holding. I upgraded to a heavier unit, so this one gets used only when needed for odd jobs. Yes, they may pop out, like a bullet, but it will have to ricochet off the floor, with the patch. I've done crazier things when needed, so...

Bomgarrs has Quincy, Dewalt, and industrial air if one is near you. The Dewalt 1.9 running hp was just on sale for $319. The newer small compressors are sometimes rated that way, it is best to go by amp draw to get an idea to compare to what you have.
Bomgaars isn't any further west than Webster City, Iowa.

About as safe as welding it yourself ...

S60410_001_12ozFAF_2048x.png

I have a horizontal tank taking up alot of room in my garage and would like to
replace it with a vertical tank. The prices are crazy for a bare tank, so I guess
I'm waiting!

thanks pulled the trigger got a Craftsman again 60 upright $389.00

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back