• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing quarter glass front seals

rscurtis

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I have the new quarter glass seals for my '66 Coronet (the flocked pieces that seal against the door glass), and couldn't find any replacement instructions in the shop manual. Does anyone have any hints or suggestions on removing the old seals and securing the new parts?

If you are talking about the front "wing" windows, you will have to remove the glass to replace the seal. not the most fun job !

I just did mine in my 65 Belvedere. Slide the old ones out from the bottom or tear them out if they're extremely deteriorated. Mine were. Now clean the channel very well. Use Naptha if there is any old and dried residual rubber left in the channel. Don't scratch the channel as it will make it more difficult to slide in the new seal. Now mix up a solution of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Heavy on the soap ratio. Spray the channel down well. Insert the new seal into the channel and slide it upward, pulling up like a bastard. It may take a few up and down attempts while adding more soap as you go. The ones on my 72 Dart went in easily. The Belvedere took some time. Trim any excess material off the bottom with a razor blade.

Thanks- that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm surprised the manual doesn't cover it, perhaps I missed it.

65-440, fortunately it's not the vent windows. All the rubber on this car is excellent except for the rear quarter windows.

Auto Transport Service
Back