• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help removing chrome from window

Dimension

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering up all the chrome and stainless pieces for my '69 Roadrunner but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the chrome pieces from the windows. the glass is out of the door but there are pieces of chrome still attached to them. Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove them without breaking the glass?

Post pics. Have you tried a heat gun to loosen up the trim. Sure, someone here has had to do the same thing.

I'll try and get some pictures of what I am talking about but it may take a while to get them out to you all.

Usually that stuff fell off all by itself lol

I wish mine did. I actually broke the driver side window so the chrome/stainless piece that was on it is off but the passenger side is still on.

I wish mine did. I actually broke the driver side window so the chrome/stainless piece that was on it is off but the passenger side is still on.
I wonder if at some time in the past that it fell off and a PO or a glass shop used some kind of a space age bonding agent on it.

Be gentle with her. I use that darn heat gun on a lot of stuff to get bolts and other frozen on stuff to loosen up. On glass would use wood to pry with and not metal tools. If I am not wrong lay it on a bench covered with a packing blanket or such heat up the trim and gently start tapping on it from the bottom or top edge. May take a while to get it to move. Or use something like goof off might also help loose up the binder hence glue.

How do I get the vent window and the back quarter window glass in the back out so that I get them redone? I have removed both pieces from the car already just need to get the glass removed.

Last edited:
Vent window frame pulls out in one piece. After door glass is out. Should find bolt on inner front of door behind the plastic plugs. Adjuster at bottom of door with a black plug there. Should pull inner door trim to get at the rest. If not, wrong back quarter glass is glued to a frame that holds the glass to roll up and down like your door window. Or has rollers on it. Sure, someone else may have pics or such. Good luck know the pain of restoring a runner.

I bought that vent window frame for both sides. Cheap product. Had to neural the mounting holes out with a step bit to make it line up right. Think it cost me almost 500 hundred for the set of them. Was able to use my original glass in them use RVT black to set the glass. The chrome on them is showing some small pitting. So just keep them clean. Darn aftermarket stuff. I am being nice.
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0102 (3).JPG

Vent window frame pulls out in one piece. After door glass is out. Should find bolt on inner front of door behind the plastic plugs. Adjuster at bottom of door with a black plug there. Should pull inner door trim to get at the rest. If not, wrong back quarter glass is glued to a frame that holds the glass to roll up and down like your door window. Or has rollers on it. Sure, someone else may have pics or such. Good luck know the pain of restoring a runner.
Thanks for the information but I should have added, which I just did to my post, that the pieces have already been removed from the car. I just need to get the glass out of each piece so that I can get them chromed.

This has been a fun project so far since it is a convertible RR and belongs to my Dad which he bought new in 69 so it has a little more meaning behind it.

Why do you need to take the quarter windows out of the frame. That’s not something you do on a convertible just for the fun times and memories.

Why do you need to take the quarter windows out of the frame. That’s not something you do on a convertible just for the fun times and memories.
If I am not mistaken it has stainless around the frame. I would have to double check but I'm pretty sure there is stainless or chrome around it someplace.

If you are talking about these, they are not chrome.

View attachment 1496391

View attachment 1496392
Yes, I have some of those pieces as well which are stainless. The shop I am using does both chrome and stainless.

If you all have any suggestions on how I can do clean up stainless I am open to suggestions. Then my next question is can I get them as nice looking as a place that specializes in clean up stainless and chrome?

Yes there is stainless on the front edge. And the cast piece on the bottom to connect linkage to. Why take it out, it’s not fun. Clean it up with everything on it.
Any suggestions as to what to use to clean them up as well as a place that specializes in cleaning stainless and chrome?

Auto Transport Service
Back