• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction 66-68 Console top from OER/Classic Industries - problem

Just got a set of my reproductions out, I don't know where these came from, as I swapped to get them. You are right. I have a reproduction console plastic and a original front top plate fits it perfectly the new 4-speed top plate, when seated at the console door lacks a 1/2" seating at the front. I will have to contact the person I swapped those 69-70 plates to and see where they came from. That's a pisser.
They came from brewers

OK - so decided to go ahead and dive in on trying to straighten the top out. Turned out it wasn't that difficult with a hydraulic press and going in small steps. here's basically what I set up.

thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg

Basically started out with this set up to flatten the forward section and get some of the upward swoop out of it. Then I found it worked better to use the 2x4 on edge across the plate with a steel plate between it and the ram. And as necessary I used a couple of paint stick on either side between the plate and the HDPE plate as folcrums to help massage the humped section and add some more curve to it. I went in small pushes and slid the plate a little forward and back to not concentrate too much in one area. Many breaks to re-fit on the base and mark where it needed to be pushed next. Ended up looking pretty good overall I think - at least it sits flat and hooks at the front and screws down fine at the rear.

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

There is still a little gap on the right side in the hump up area although it's hard to see unless you get right down on it. I may see if I can massage a little of it out tomorrow - or maybe just call it good.

Thanks to those who replied about the use of a hydraulic press. I was a bit skeptical at first but worked out just fine. Just went slow and moved the pressure points around to keep from overstressing any one area - don't see any signs of stress to the chrome. thumbnail.jpg

I'll add that a couple pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 oak plank squares laid together would make a good base to use under the console piece. I just happened to have that big chunk of HDPE that I got off of a construction project years ago.

Last edited:
Excellent! Glad you were able to tweak it back to the correct shape...

There was recent thread about this very issue either on one of the facebook groups I'm in or Moparts.

But anyway Mike Ross chimed in ( owner of BEA parts , aka former partner of PG Classics ) He said they ALL fit like this.
He put them on a Hyd press and straightened everyone of them to fit a console body as he sold them before they ever left his shop.

I bought mine from Mike years back and told me then, he just stepped on them to straighten them out. :p Never mentioned a press.

I think trying to tweak one over your knee or stand on one would be a little tough and risky but I could see clamping it between a couple pieces of wood in a big vice and pulling/pushing on it a little. They are not quite as stiff as I was expecting, and with the 4-speed one there’s a big hole in the middle so want to be a little careful with the force at the outer ends of it where it might be a little more brittle.

I think the use of the press takes the human jerking snapping type reaction out of it .
Thy are diecast and dont like to be bent, especially more than once .
Plus you can control the amount of bend you do, and key is go slowly.
This is one case when just a tad more can very easily be too much

Auto Transport Service
Back