• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration project management - anyone have a excel or PM tool to share?

Thanks 747 like you as I find or read about new products or neat ideas I either save the pictures into my resto folder area on my computer or bookmark and organize the webpage into my "bookmarks" area in my browser which is chrome.

As far as the wife finding it, I felt like it was best to be up front with her about these costs and that's one reason for the spreadsheet so she see's there's a plan and a budget. I've educated her for years on approximate costs to restore and watched some auctions with her etc. She has been urging me for the past decade to just sell everything and go buy a done car. I explained that I can't give up the bird in the hand and hope I'll find what I want for a reasonable price (I've told her the RT convert is pretty rare and few and far between) and that I need a driver because restoring the 70 RR is going to be a very long proposition and i just can't wait that long to have a car to drive and enjoy. I've also always told her I can't bring myself to sell my Road Runner.

I was going to get the RT running as a driver to enjoy and then restify the RR and once it was done sell it. She's the one that urged be to go farther with the RT now that she's seen quite few pictures and TV car shows, auctions, and went to a couple car shows with me this summer.

At that last car show there were several converts and she seemed to really like many of the cars. As we were looking at them she said several of the converts or pony cars and nova's etc were "cute" or "pretty". I thought to myself "great she's liking some older cars and showing interest" but was a little let down that she was making most of these comments about the many non-Mopar cars that were there. Not that many Mopars showed up as usual. Many were Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, other makes many of which were droptops etc. I thought great she's appreciating these old cars but didn't realize what was going on in her mind. We also saw a totally awesome T7 69 Road Runner that had one best of show over at the small Mega Mopar show her in the STL area. She was really impressed with it and we talked to the owner about how he'd bought a done car off ebay but then had to do a total rotisserie resto on it as it wasn't as nice as represented on the internet. Big surprise! LOL. It seemed to help having someone else reinforce what I'd been telling her costs and difference in a nice driver and really nice done car.

When we got home from that show she told me why don't you just fix up this convertible you have instead of selling it AND then fix your Road Runner (she knows I never plan to sell the RR). I said well I don't think I can justify spending money on two and she said. "Well you really like this convertible and it's rare and unique so you probably won't find another one so just fix it up too." I was floored and shocked. I said "you really seemed to like the corvettes and other smaller car converts at the show" She responded "Yeah they were cute but looked like women's cars but Your car is Bad ***" looking!"

Wow I was really shocked. She said go ahead and get this one running and then fix your Road Runner. So needless to say I've been doing just what she said and plan to make the RT the driver and really go to town later on the Road Runner.

Back to the resto plans. I've actually put a tremendous amount of thought and spent time re-acquainting myself on prices of used parts, new offerings, and new prices on older available resto parts that have gone up, and labor rates while deciding on what I want to do since I first started this thread and I feel very much back in the swing of things.

The RT is a bit of a trial run for the Road Runner as far as organizing and doing are concerned and it's been quite fun and very exciting. I'm still tweaking the spreadsheet to make it useful and user friendly. It's a great road map for my next project while helping me put all my thoughts, ideas, and research into a cohesive plan for this one and trying to stay within a reasonable budget to get it on the road and safe while fixing things that need to be done to have a really nice worry free car for this up coming summer. I have the engine out so that's the time to do the front susp and brakes and trans etc. So I'm fixing everything in the drive-line or supporting the drive-line like Cooling, fuel, Steering, Suspension, rear end etc. It will be 95% done mechanically as far as that goes minus some handling improving items I can change easily later after it's back together but i'm not doing any body work and only minimal interior work and trim. For now anyway. Maybe after the RR.

Sorry for the very long post, it was late last night and decided to finish this this morning.

Last edited:
Trying to get spreadsheet image larger. Thanks again to Dako and Mrs Dako for sharing their spreadsheet. I've modified it a little but it's the same idea.

n4dItKu.png

tab for brakes and front susp .. still needs a little work but is example. I couldn't fit the whole spreadsheet so lines and line items at the top are missing.

Kvk8ESr.png

i am in the proccess of having my 71 Dodge Charger restored and just using a simple excel sheet and using tabs for labor, parts purchase, parts still needed then one more for resources. i am getting a nice long list of resources for parts i have bought or may buy. i just break down the parts by section then put estimated cost or where i have found a price and its source for a base line. then i spend hours each week researching for a lower price and then buy. i am trying to keep my very nice driver car under $20k but it is looking like $30k. i think there should be a website dedicated to restoring your mopar and it could list where to buy parts. also i thought i could contact a larger vendor and say i am buying thousands of $$$ in parts can i get a discount and the answer was always NO. its like they didnt care if i bought anything or not. if anyone has some great resources let me know. haha

See "I told you" I looked at your spreadsheet and instantly got a migraine haha. That would absolutely drive me nuts to do all of that "congrats". No, I'm not hiding it from my wife I'm just doing it as I go and taking on side jobs to pay for some of it. You are very lucky "give your wife a big hug" my wife would sell my car in a second and likes nothing about it so she doesn't support any of it. I'm just glad my 7 yr old daughter totally loves it and can't wait to ride in it.

The spread sheets can scare you when you atcually see what you have spent! Glad you got something out of it...

See "I told you" I looked at your spreadsheet and instantly got a migraine haha. That would absolutely drive me nuts to do all of that "congrats". No, I'm not hiding it from my wife I'm just doing it as I go and taking on side jobs to pay for some of it. You are very lucky "give your wife a big hug" my wife would sell my car in a second and likes nothing about it so she doesn't support any of it. I'm just glad my 7 yr old daughter totally loves it and can't wait to ride in it.

Will do and it's awesome that your daughter loves it. You're obviously a great Dad 747. My Daughters are constantly me asking me about mine and they (18) and my son (23) have helped me a lot. They all pitched in and we pulled the engine and trans as a unit one night and finished about midnight.

- - - Updated - - -

i am in the proccess of having my 71 Dodge Charger restored and just using a simple excel sheet and using tabs for labor, parts purchase, parts still needed then one more for resources. i am getting a nice long list of resources for parts i have bought or may buy. i just break down the parts by section then put estimated cost or where i have found a price and its source for a base line. then i spend hours each week researching for a lower price and then buy. i am trying to keep my very nice driver car under $20k but it is looking like $30k. i think there should be a website dedicated to restoring your mopar and it could list where to buy parts. also i thought i could contact a larger vendor and say i am buying thousands of $$$ in parts can i get a discount and the answer was always NO. its like they didnt care if i bought anything or not. if anyone has some great resources let me know. haha

That's pretty much what I'm doing as well Bivvy research the hell out of what I want then then find the best price for it, assuming the same manufacturer and part number I mean.

Any pics of it hear on FBBO? Is it going to be all original? If there is anything I can do to help let me know "I've got a good source for hardware (not original but better)".

I think this is an excellent idea! Starting with a plan is the best, sticking to it is harder. Your way helps keep tabs on those small parts that add up quickly. I've kept mine in notebooks and some projects, I've allowed only so much $ per year, and that's it. Id be scared to figure out what I've got in some of them if Id kept up accurately. Driving a not so perfect mopar helps keep up my motivation on the one I'm building when motivation or $ fall short. There are lots of really good ideas here thanks for posting this.

I think this is an excellent idea! Starting with a plan is the best, sticking to it is harder. Your way helps keep tabs on those small parts that add up quickly. I've kept mine in notebooks and some projects, I've allowed only so much $ per year, and that's it. Id be scared to figure out what I've got in some of them if Id kept up accurately. Driving a not so perfect Mopar helps keep up my motivation on the one I'm building when motivation or $ fall short. There are lots of really good ideas here thanks for posting this.

Welcome barnfind a lot of nice folks sharing so far and its is definitely appreciated. BTW I totally gave up on the hours thing ... that was just some brainstorming and not worth the effort at all.

Are you the one restoring the 70 RR that someone here found and sold to another member? If so we'd like to see and update in a resto thread. Also doing this helps ME stay somewhat on budget and keep track of what I'm doing and gonna do.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pics of it hear on FBBO? Is it going to be all original? If there is anything I can do to help let me know "I've got a good source for hardware (not original but better)".

Thanks for the offer 747 and yes there are pics over in my profile but they are a little on the older side. It really looks the same though although those pics are mis-leading. Paint is 25+ years old and not awesome but at least it's one color and reasonably shiny when I wax it :)

Wow, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and have to applaud it. After over 22 years of ownership and budget-able restoration along the way, my Cuda's receipt folder is about six inches thick. I've never had the guts to add it all up :D and doubt if I ever will. Sadly, most of the places at the tops of the receipts are out of business or were bought out by someone else; and my dad's the one who introduced me to most of them along with turning me into a motorhead.

Despite learning a LOT along the way, the best piece of advice I can give ya Tallhair is about long term storage. We all have those little baggies full of hardware for each assembly stashed as it's going into Exploded View ... well, DON'T write what it is on the baggie. Write it in pen on a slip of paper and put it inside the baggie. I still have leftovers and scroginals I have no idea what to do with ............ :D

Very cool thread Tallhair! I'm giving it five stars.

Wow, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and have to applaud it. After over 22 years of ownership and budget-able restoration along the way, my Cuda's receipt folder is about six inches thick. I've never had the guts to add it all up :D and doubt if I ever will. Sadly, most of the places at the tops of the receipts are out of business or were bought out by someone else; and my dad's the one who introduced me to most of them along with turning me into a motorhead.

Despite learning a LOT along the way, the best piece of advice I can give ya Tallhair is about long term storage. We all have those little baggies full of hardware for each assembly stashed as it's going into Exploded View ... well, DON'T write what it is on the baggie. Write it in pen on a slip of paper and put it inside the baggie. I still have leftovers and scroginals I have no idea what to do with ............ :D

Very cool thread Tallhair! I'm giving it five stars.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words and for sharing your thoughts and experience Leanna! I have pulled a lot of engines and parts over the years and have always relied on just keeping the bolts, nuts, washers etc handy and nearby to the job however this is a longer term job although no bigger that what I've done before so far but I have used the baggies for the first time for no other reason than if something should happen to me before its done it would help someone else get it back together. I did however use a sharpie and write on the bags so the weekend I think I'll go out and put some slips of paper in the bags as a back up in case the writing get's smudged off the bag.

The writing on the baggies doesn't really get smudged. It just DISAPPEARS. Apparently my leftovers aren't too crucial -- the car runs and nothing's fallen off yet. LOL!!!

Since you have already owned the car for 32 years it is probably too late to tell you buy one someone else nicely restored and save yourself a ton of time and money.

You first list of needed parts will expand significantly as it gets checked off. You will start with the obvious and expand from there.

Any chrome work is going to cost a fortune and take forever.

I kept a spreadsheet of costs until it got way too depressing. I stopped tracking costs and it definitely improved my perspective on the project.

Good advice to not get parts too early. I have everything to reassemble the car and have been waiting going on six months to get it back from the paint shop. Most of these parts are still in boxes and taking up two bedrooms. The wife is understanding, but still not real happy. If there is a problem when I go to install them, I am probably out of luck with returns.

First thing I did was new Magnum 500 wheels (almost bought new Redlines too!) I went down and lovingly polished and waxed the wheels at the paint shop when the first rust spots showed up. To buy them and put them on first was stupid, stupid, stupid, but it was an easy, cheap, visual improvement. I inspect them for further damage each paint shop visit.

Car key started when I drove it into the paint shop. No longer does. I am sure it is a wiring issue in the dash since it was uninstalled for powder coating and the ignition switch is just hanging from its wiring below where the dash used to be.

I will probably have to rent a storage unit for the two bedrooms of parts if we have any family or friends from out of town visit Thanksgiving or Christmas. I initially expected the car to be back to me and reassembled in time for the Daytona Turkey Rod Run Thanksgiving Weekend. Maybe next year at this point.

The good news is that 99% of what I need has been bought and paid for, and the paint delay now has me caught up and flush with cash for future unexpected expenses. The driveline in the car was strong when I bought it, but I may now see a crate motor in my future.

A car is never really finished.

Cough, cough, choke, choke. That spreadsheet is way too familiar and the 30% for unknown contingencies is not excessive. I am guessing the spreadsheet also does not include the initial cost of the vehicle or current market value if already owned.

Welcome barnfind a lot of nice folks sharing so far and its is definitely appreciated. BTW I totally gave up on the hours thing ... that was just some brainstorming and not worth the effort at all.

Are you the one restoring the 70 RR that someone here found and sold to another member? If so we'd like to see and update in a resto thread. Also doing this helps ME stay somewhat on budget and keep track of what I'm doing and gonna do.

This is a very methodical way to track your project, I use spread sheets with my business but I haven't on the cars. This shows how costs can rack up. Yeah I agree on the time deal as it can remove some of the fun factor, plus I'm slow at what I do these days. Sounds like you have some very cool rides in your stable. I've got a 70 coronet' I'm still gathering parts for. I'm also working on a 71 bcuda conv, both purchased elsewhere. Pics for the B bodies are up. I'm terrible about taking pics during progress, I always seem to forget as I get into what I'm doing and forget the rest.
(I have CRS) Cant Remember Stuff. hehe
I also use an old post office box setup with 6"x6" cubby holes, at 6ftx3ft, I have this mounted on the wall. This cubby hole helps along with the bag n tag method. It keeps like groups of parts in my bags together. I'm also less likely to loose a bag by kicking it or the dog dragging it away.

Since you have already owned the car for 32 years it is probably too late to tell you buy one someone else nicely restored and save yourself a ton of time and money.

I'll tell ya whut 67 GTX if I hadn't kept that RR for all these past 32 years I would definitely be buying someone else's rotisserie resto!

You first list of needed parts will expand significantly as it gets checked off. You will start with the obvious and expand from there.

Yeah I'm starting with the obvious and since this isn't a full on resto I'm focused on the drive line and suspension, front first and then when the front susp is one, the engine and trans will go back in and I'm addressing the under hood area (not repainting though) while it's apart. Once the susp and rest of the front end stuff is done and buttoned up I'll shift to the drive shaft and rear end and rear suspension.

Any chrome work is going to cost a fortune and take forever.

Won't be doing that or doing it anytime soon LOL

I kept a spreadsheet of costs until it got way too depressing. I stopped tracking costs and it definitely improved my perspective on the project.

Good advice to not get parts too early. I have everything to reassemble the car and have been waiting going on six months to get it back from the paint shop. Most of these parts are still in boxes and taking up two bedrooms. The wife is understanding, but still not real happy. If there is a problem when I go to install them, I am probably out of luck with returns.

That was very good advice and somewhat intuitive but only if you really think abou it. This has helped me keep storage space and costs under control. I really try to research price and think things through to maximize my project $$

First thing I did was new Magnum 500 wheels (almost bought new Redlines too!) I went down and lovingly polished and waxed the wheels at the paint shop when the first rust spots showed up. To buy them and put them on first was stupid, stupid, stupid, but it was an easy, cheap, visual improvement. I inspect them for further damage each paint shop visit.

Wheels are not happening until the the mechanical's are all done and it's ready to get it on the road or really close and happening in the immediate future although I totally understand the temptation believe you me. However, I've run stock wheels all my life so nice wheels are not a habit of mine but I'm really looking forward to getting a nice set of Magnum 500's when it's time! I have been a fan of cop wheels and chrome lugnuts before there they were cool LOL

Car key started when I drove it into the paint shop. No longer does. I am sure it is a wiring issue in the dash since it was uninstalled for powder coating and the ignition switch is just hanging from its wiring below where the dash used to be.

Hopefully I'll do the Road Runner body one day but my plan for that is to send them the rolling body only on the bolt on body wheels - nothing else. Nothing for them to lose or damage. If I need them to take something off I'll take it home when it's off.

I will probably have to rent a storage unit for the two bedrooms of parts if we have any family or friends from out of town visit Thanksgiving or Christmas. I initially expected the car to be back to me and reassembled in time for the Daytona Turkey Rod Run Thanksgiving Weekend. Maybe next year at this point.

I will buy smaller hard to find original stuff that can be stored easily but not big stuff that isn't likely to change and luckily I don't need much in the way of big stuff as far as original parts .. except maybe a trunk lid like everyone else :) But mine is not that bad really

The good news is that 99% of what I need has been bought and paid for, and the paint delay now has me caught up and flush with cash for future unexpected expenses. The driveline in the car was strong when I bought it, but I may now see a crate motor in my future.

Now that's a great way to look at it. Nothing worse in my mind that getting a beutiful body home and not having the $$ to put it back together and having to sell due to unforeseen circumstances.

A car is never really finished.

Cough, cough, choke, choke. That spreadsheet is way too familiar and the 30% for unknown contingencies is not excessive. I am guessing the spreadsheet also does not include the initial cost of the vehicle or current market value if already owned.

Yeah Dako donated the spreadsheet that I started with and it was much appreciated as it prompted me on somethings I hadn't thought of yet. It was a big help. You are also correct in that the initial cost of the car is not included but since you brought it up I'll include a tab for that as well. Good suggestion. It will be fun and it may help someone else in the future. I've been asked by a couple folks for copies already. I obviously have the cars but it may help someone who has nothing and is thinking about getting into a full on car build and to include buying a car.

I picked up on the 30% thing from others and also in other threads people saying to do a full on resto is around ~ $50K and add 30% for safety were full on right. I think I'm being fairly comprehensive but that's where the spreadsheet really helps try to capture everything. As I think of things while I"m doing other stuff or on here I just pop over and add it to the spreadsheet. I also try to guess high before I get time to go research a price and which helps keep it real and allows for inflation and parts increases do to whatever. My decision to do a full on immersion in this stuff has been very helpful as I'm constantly reading, thinking, and hearing about new ideas and parts/things available. As the car get's more done obviously I'll go in and reduce the safety factor since the more done it is the less variable there is

My comments in bold

- - - Updated - - -

The writing on the baggies doesn't really get smudged. It just DISAPPEARS. Apparently my leftovers aren't too crucial -- the car runs and nothing's fallen off yet. LOL!!!

Thanks Leanna. Still good advice :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is a very methodical way to track your project, I use spread sheets with my business but I haven't on the cars. This shows how costs can rack up. Yeah I agree on the time deal as it can remove some of the fun factor, plus I'm slow at what I do these days. Sounds like you have some very cool rides in your stable. I've got a 70 coronet' I'm still gathering parts for. I'm also working on a 71 bcuda conv, both purchased elsewhere. Pics for the B bodies are up. I'm terrible about taking pics during progress, I always seem to forget as I get into what I'm doing and forget the rest.
(I have CRS) Cant Remember Stuff. hehe
I also use an old post office box setup with 6"x6" cubby holes, at 6ftx3ft, I have this mounted on the wall. This cubby hole helps along with the bag n tag method. It keeps like groups of parts in my bags together. I'm also less likely to loose a bag by kicking it or the dog dragging it away.

I use spreadsheets at work also and have forever so I"m comfortable with them and IMO it's an easy way to explain and show the plan and where I'm at and going with the parts and the costs to the wife who has never been a car person. All she see's is a pile of parts. My girls and son are interested in what I'm doing and it helps show the the value of a plan. I've always believed in the adage "fail to plan and you plan to fail" . I know this isn't for everyone but it works for me.

I used to have one of those post office box deals but in a moment of 'clarity' or frustration over how much crap I had and have I gave it a way but I thought it was cool as hell when I got it, just never put it into use and gave it to a family member. Oh well. I always thought it would be cool to mount it in a wall

Well I have the money to do the project, I just don't have enough time. I can't bring myself to outsource the work, so it drags on till it is done. I remeber i was 17 I had the time and no money. it doesn't really change.

Well I have the money to do the project, I just don't have enough time. I can't bring myself to outsource the work, so it drags on till it is done. I remeber i was 17 I had the time and no money. it doesn't really change.

Agreed snakeoil and what's really pissing me off is I have to recuperate after working on it. Man that really irritates me. My left shoulder and right elbow has been straight hurting like hell for months now. I'm almost incapacitated and have to wait until it's not extremely painful to do something else. Man it's a pisser. I have some facilities, not ideal but I'm not out in the weather, money is not a massive problem, and the damn body is letting me down for no good reason.

I looked at this late, obviously..

DO you guys know of this software?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tk1taokj1cjewuu/Phoenix.zip

It is free from what I can see. And I just downloaded it and it looks pretty good. It is simple and no frills, but it still looks way easier than using Excel.

I googled for car restoration project management software and found the link above. The download is only 2 MB. I unzipped it to my desktop and it worked great first time.

I'll check it out Tekhouse. Thanks.

BTW I spent some more time on mine this weekend and added in the cost of the project car and a area that deducts parts sales from total cost and I was missing wheels and tires!

I'll post an update if you all wanna see it and send some examples soon to those that asked for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back