• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration project management - anyone have a excel or PM tool to share?

Tallhair - you made me do it.....I went back to the spreadsheet that I created when I started my project. My spreadsheet is much less involved than yours, but you've given me some ideas with this thread - thanks for starting this. My project is in teardown and some metal work at the moment. I need to add more estimations on future part requirements and cost estimates - I have not gone through in as much detail as needed. More importantly, I need to plan in more detail. I'm getting to that overwhelmed point right now and I think this will help......a little time planning will save a lot of time later. It's just hard to spend the time planning when there's so little of it!

There are several things I am tracking that I don't see on your tabs - but I'm sure you have more tabs in your spreadsheet than what we can see in this thread.
I am tracking tools purchased. I know they can be used for other projects but they are a cost for the one you are working on at the time. We buy a lot of tools if we plan to do it ourselves - and I know I'm not done! I had the basic hand tools before this project, as I never tackled this type of project before. So you find yourself buying air compressors and air tools, welders and C02 bottles, spot-weld cutters, special wrenches/pliers/sockets/vise grips, whatever. You can easily rack up a few grand in tools, if you don't have them to start with. Craigs list becomes your friend.
I am also tracking consumables that I purchase - grinding discs & sandpapers, cutting discs, wire wheels, paints&primers, tapes, welding supplies, degreasers, etc, etc.

You may have accounted for these categories - but I thought I would throw them in the mix.
Thanks.

I have a tab for tools but don't have that in the Summary as they will all be reusable for other cars. I'm not planning on body work but am looking for a parts washer, shop bench, grinder pedestal, possibly a buffing wheel/pedestal, etc. My spreadsheet has 18 tabs and no you can't see them all in one screen shot. It's still a work in progress and it's really helping me get a grip on the real cost of these builds and keeping me reigned in to stay in budget with what I plan to do with this car.

BTW I saw a totally cool looking 70 FE5 RR online yesterday and is so very tempting! It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than building but we all know that! If you don't have body work skills, space, and physical ability that is ;)

Tallhair - you made me do it.....I went back to the spreadsheet that I created when I started my project. My spreadsheet is much less involved than yours, but you've given me some ideas with this thread - thanks for starting this. My project is in teardown and some metal work at the moment. I need to add more estimations on future part requirements and cost estimates - I have not gone through in as much detail as needed. More importantly, I need to plan in more detail. I'm getting to that overwhelmed point right now and I think this will help......a little time planning will save a lot of time later. It's just hard to spend the time planning when there's so little of it!

There are several things I am tracking that I don't see on your tabs - but I'm sure you have more tabs in your spreadsheet than what we can see in this thread.
I am tracking tools purchased. I know they can be used for other projects but they are a cost for the one you are working on at the time. We buy a lot of tools if we plan to do it ourselves - and I know I'm not done! I had the basic hand tools before this project, as I never tackled this type of project before. So you find yourself buying air compressors and air tools, welders and C02 bottles, spot-weld cutters, special wrenches/pliers/sockets/vise grips, whatever. You can easily rack up a few grand in tools, if you don't have them to start with. Craigs list becomes your friend.
I am also tracking consumables that I purchase - grinding discs & sandpapers, cutting discs, wire wheels, paints&primers, tapes, welding supplies, degreasers, etc, etc.

You may have accounted for these categories - but I thought I would throw them in the mix.
Thanks.

Hey big flo I decided to move the tools to a separate spreadsheet since I plan to do another project later and to keep the the project a little more pure to the cost of the R/T build but i did and do appreciate you suggestion. If you don't mind sending me a PM with you email address I'll send you mine and would appreciate taking a look at yours. Maybe we can improve both our tools.

- - - Updated - - -

I sent my spreadsheet to those of you who have asked for it. I'll appreciate your feedback so please respond and let me know you received it and please offer any suggestions on the spreadsheet itself and feel free to critique it and point out anything that doesn't work or things I've missed.

I have to thank Dako and Mrs Dako again for providing his example and mine is really not that much different than his .. it just looks different.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys. If you asked for a copy and I missed you in the email please PM me your email and I'll get it right off to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back