• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Results on rebuilt 440 problems

66HOTROD

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted about my newly rebuilt 440 not running right, hesitating under acceleration and misfiring. Switched carbs, same thing. Different plugs, wires, cap and rotor, same thing. Finally, put in a points distributor-runs fantastic. Anybody else have trouble with electronic conversion units? This is the second one, the first had no vacuum advance.

66 how was the dist feed where did you have ground etc. curious to understand

What system are you using? Really need the basic information like this to give any advice or reply............

What system are you using? Really need the basic information like this to give any advice or reply............
It is a Mopar conversion system from Mancini. It's probably something I did wrong, I'm just an amateur mechanic.

crazy that I have had more problems with points than I've ever had with any electronic ignition

It is a Mopar conversion system from Mancini. It's probably something I did wrong, I'm just an amateur mechanic.
we all have strong points and weak ones. it will grow on you and then you will know it like the back of your hand. good luck and keep us all posted on your project.

Direct and to the point! Still running them on both cars and will never switch "up" !

Electronic ignition is not really an upgrade with all the China junk parts sold currently.

Last edited:
crazy that I have had more problems with points than I've ever had with any electronic ignition
That's what most people say, and it makes perfect sense, but I had 2 Mopar buddies who both said, "It's that electronic conversion, for sure". They are Mopar guys from way back. One of them has a 74 Cuda 440 6 Pak with points and is afraid to change it over because it runs so dependable and strong.

lessons learned and then move on. maybe in the future you will try again but there is a lot of guys still running points and very happy. so as so many have said on this forum build it your way and be happy.

Well I have not used that system BUT Mancini is a phone call away and they have better customer support than most. Walk it by them! I am sure they will square you away pretty quickly.

I did this on one of my cars way back when, I remember it did run wired like that, but can't remember the symptoms.
I did it too and that is why I know it runs just like what he was describing

Last edited:
I used a points dist on the 470 for the Dyno runs, my guy could not belive how easy it started and ran. Switched to the Hi Rev unit in the car and it ran like crap, popping backfiring ect. Put the points back in and now it runs fine. Tried a new coil, ballast ect with the HEI still crap. Have the same Hi Rev in the 68 R/R 440 and it is fine. So its not a installer error. Swapped the boxes and no problems. I will try again but just dont have the time now with the move coming up. Might just leave it as is, or get a dual point.Chrysler did testing and said there is no real power gains in ignition just less maintanence , plus dont fix it if it aint broke.

back in the 70's when the lean burn went bad we would go to the play ground [junk yard ] and remove all the parts from a old 4 door and install them in place of the lean burn so even back then we would get a new e.c.u and they would not work well on a hot engine due to the dwell and rev limiter and we would install a mopar chrome box , but we would carrie extra box and ballast because they would fail. run your ground strap from the engine to the bolt that held the e.c.u and man they would run

Auto Transport Service
Back