• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrosound radio and EL lighting?

northeastmoparnet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi, getting to my dash now. I have no radio in it. Is there a radio I can install with the bluetooth and serius to work with the EL lighting or maybe look like the EL lighting. I don't want to look for a stock radio as I prefer bluetooth and hands free phone. What has everyone here done for their radio stuff. Thanks....

I have the Retrosound and the backlighting can be set for many colors including several shades of green. Not exactly like the EL but only you would know the difference. The one I got didn't exactly fit the opening but it's close.

I have the Retrosound and the backlighting can be set for many colors including several shades of green. Not exactly like the EL but only you would know the difference. The one I got didn't exactly fit the opening but it's close.
which one did you get and how did it not fit the existing holes and what did you do to get it in?

which one did you get and how did it not fit the existing holes and what did you do to get it in?
I have the Motor 2 unit, the Technophonic amp and the R-TB8 speakers that I bought through Crutchfield. The problem with the radio is that the display and the buttons are separate pieces and they are a little too close together for the holes in the dash. It can still be installed easily but I can't see the bottom part of the display. It's raining here now so I can't get any pics but I'll add some as soon as it clears up.

Sorry for the lousy photos but the sun and reflections weren't helping. You can see the chrome strip above the display that should be behind the top of the cut out. Since the display and buttons are add on pieces to the radio unit there may be a way to fab another bracket or drill and tap different holes but I was working with the dash in place so I said to heck with it. My car is a daily drive and not a show car so if it works it OK with me. The numbers on the display is an add on static cling decal and it's really hard to read the display with it on there. I'll yank it off if I ever pull it out. They are $30 for 3 of them so I have 2 left over and I'll send them to you if you want them.

radio1.jpg

radio4.jpg

radio5.jpg

radio3.jpg

I have the Retrosounds in my 66. The buttons and display are separate and adjustable. It took a little time, but I got it fitting well. One thing I’d was I cut a piece of clear plastic sheet and glued it to the back of the bezel. I didn’t care for the open gap. As for color it’s a very close match. I am not happy with the 4x10 dual voice coil speaker that Retrosounds offers. I’m going to change it to 2 3 1/2 or 4” speakers on an adapter plate this winter. I’m also going to build a pair of sealed boxes to fit next to the rear seats for some 6 1/2” rear speakers and add a sub in the trunk
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3963.jpeg
IMG_3962.jpeg

Sorry for the lousy photos but the sun and reflections weren't helping. You can see the chrome strip above the display that should be behind the top of the cut out. Since the display and buttons are add on pieces to the radio unit there may be a way to fab another bracket or drill and tap different holes but I was working with the dash in place so I said to heck with it. My car is a daily drive and not a show car so if it works it OK with me. The numbers on the display is an add on static cling decal and it's really hard to read the display with it on there. I'll yank it off if I ever pull it out. They are $30 for 3 of them so I have 2 left over and I'll send them to you if you want them.

View attachment 1498301

View attachment 1498302

View attachment 1498303

View attachment 1498304
You can adjust the distance between the display and the buttons with the mounting brackets they supply

You can adjust the distance between the display and the buttons with the mounting brackets they supply
The only adjustments mine had were for the knobs, nothing for the buttons or display.

The only adjustments mine had were for the knobs, nothing for the buttons or display.
I’ve installed 2. One in my Charger and one in my 67 Coronet R/T and they both had plenty of adjustment. Did you use the extra metal brackets that came in the kit?

I’ve installed 2. One in my Charger and one in my 67 Coronet R/T and they both had plenty of adjustment. Did you use the extra metal brackets that came in the kit?
IMG_4723.jpeg
IMG_4722.jpeg
IMG_4721.jpeg

Didn't have any brackets like yours and the instructions didn't show any.

Auto Transport Service
Back