• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse pattern push buttons

dvw

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Did these for a buddy today. If youve had one of these apart, you know the buttons dont swap. The rest of the buttons will get a cleanup as well. This assy was a spare.
Doug
20201213_161650.jpg

So, how is it done? Do you cut the stem from the button and reattach? Or is this a trade secret?

I don't need any but I'm curious about how it's done.

I would imagine you cut/change the faces and splice them together under the chrome bezel. I haven't done it but was looking at bags of push buttons this weekend. I will wait for the official version.

20201214_053326.jpg
I made a jig to cut them. Drill out the stakes in the sides of the covers. Slide the aluminum sleeves off. Pay attention before you glue them. The arms on the D and 1 buttons turn opposite directions. Glue them and slide the sleeve back while the glue is still wet. Restate the sleeves with an automatic center punch.
Doug

Last edited:
I had the buttons out to clean them and the linkage also lubing as part of restoing the dash. Suggest, don't apply anything alcohol or solvent based to clean them as this will skank the plastic as I found using a mule button. Mild cleaners. I removed the old paint with a blunt toothpick and fine type of q-tip I got at hobby lobby. Also got some water-based white paint to swab the button then remove the overlay paint to leave the white in the indented letters. Used a dremel with tiny buffing pad to shine it some. Not perfecto; but looks a lot nicer for my satisfaction.

PB in Dash 1.jpg PB in Dash 2.jpg Ply Dash Finish.jpg

You left out the part on how you relocated the shifter mechanism to where the heater controls are on your car. That is what I think is really neat! (I've seen your videos)

Can't do this on a '62. The buttons are solid black with the locations noted in the bensil. Those locations light up but not the buttons like the newer models.
20201216_134641.jpg

When I removed my aluminium sleeves to replace with better ones, I used a small screwdriver to pry up where the stakes were and they slid off. Then I gently squeezed them back into shape before reinstalling. They're anodized and will polish up.
Screenshot_20201216-134841.jpg

Those locations light up
Is it just the bulbs behind the white plastic with the reverse, neutral, etc. that light it up, more like the light shines through the plastic?
Seems like the plastic is not very transparent when held up to the light.
I have a 62, but have not finished the dash yet.

On my '63, there are tiny bulbs that seat in the assembly behind the buttons. To replace them I had to pull off the buttons to access them. The button frame work is opaque assume to allow the light to shine through

View attachment 1040396 I made a jig to cut them. Drill out the stakes in the sides of the covers. Slide the aluminum sleeves off. Pay attention before you glue them. The arms on the D and 1 buttons turn opposite directions. Glue them and slide the sleeve back while the glue is still wet. Restate the sleeves with an automatic center punch.
Doug
Watching your cool video, aside from moving the buttons to the right, you have the drive gears flipped with D being the bottom button. Assume this reduces the odds of hitting N or worse while speed shifting. Seem to recall the ultra rare SS cars had the buttons this way with a manual VB? Interesting to know what you had to do - do set your car up this way.

On my '63, there are tiny bulbs that seat in the assembly behind the buttons. To replace them I had to pull off the buttons to access them. The button frame work is opaque assume to allow the light to shine through
Sorry - I used opaque, meaning not. Otherwise transparent so the button lights up..

Is it just the bulbs behind the white plastic with the reverse, neutral, etc. that light it up, more like the light shines through the plastic?
Seems like the plastic is not very transparent when held up to the light.
I have a 62, but have not finished the dash yet.

One bulb (orange wire)
20201217_193906.jpg

20201217_193935.jpg

And the bulb location has the blue cover on it.
20201217_195156.jpg

The plastic material with the wording is transparent plastic.
20201217_194001.jpg

20201217_194051.jpg

Last edited:
Creative that is for sure. Can I ask now that they are done and glued back together does the light still pass through them giving them that glow or does the glue block them from being Illuminated like the others that are unaltered??

The bulbs still light up. The placement of the single bulb isn't the best. A second bulb would help. You cant "paint" the bulbs with a sharpie. They will light up what ever color you like. Mine are red. Moving the shifter was easy. One bracket welded to the dash. New holes for the cables closer to the accelerator pedal. I did that because the roll cage interferes with the shifter box. the bezel was a little trickier. Cut the inside out of the heater bezel. Cut the out off the shifter bezel. Glue them together. That would've worked. I have a friend that works in a the plastic lab. He molded me a new part from the one I glued. you can still see the seam a little ,but it looks pretty good. Cut up a factory shift delete plate and added the 5th gauge where the shifter used to be.
Doug
I7.jpg
I14.jpg
I12.jpg
I13.jpg
I8.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back