• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride height discrepancy Help!

72 Satellite

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Left side of my 72 Satellite sits 1.5" lower in the front, and 1.375" lower in the rear. The garage floor is acceptable level-wise. The front end is basically stock K-frame/T-bar, while the rear is a 4-link with Viking Coil overs. The rear has the shocks set at the same height. I've not adjusted the front via the Torsion bars yet, as I wanted to get some advice before changing anything. Is it possible for the front to affect the rear by that much? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rob

Measurements from center wheel opening(s) to floor:

Front Left = 25.25"
Front Right = 26.75"

Rear Left = 26.375"
Rear Right = 27.75"

20220602_103011.jpg

20220602_102920.jpg

Is my ex wife sitting in the front seat?

Definitely yes, your front end can affect the rear end that much. Adjust those torsion bar adjusters...up on one side, down on the other side, or a combination until it's the height you want

Has the car always been this way or just since you changed something. Did a torsion bar adjuster strip out?

Definitely yes, your front end can affect the rear end that much. Adjust those torsion bar adjusters...up on one side, down on the other side, or a combination until it's the height you want
OK will do. Other than jacking up the front prior to adjusting, any other tips?

There is a factory procedure for checking ride height but I always did it the way that you did....from the wheel opening arch.
The factory way is more complicated but is at the frame and lower control arm area so it is more accurate.

Has the car always been this way or just since you changed something. Did a torsion bar adjuster strip out?
Since I purchased it in 2019, I believe there has always been a discrepancy. The only change I made was to set the rear height the same a couple years ago via the shocks. Btw, whomever did the rear left out the Thrust Bearings! What a pia to adjust without them.

One thing on the rear. Are the both springs of the same rate? Even though they are adjusted the same visually there could be a rate difference. Most I have seen do not have bearings. When adjusting take the preload out of the rear 4 link first.

One thing on the rear. Are the both springs of the same rate? Even thoug they are adjusted the same visually there could be a rate difference. When adjusting take the preload out of the rear 4 link first.
If you mean The "C" & "R" settings, yes they are set the same. To take the preload out, do you back them both out CCW to zero setting?

Please refer to the FSM to set ride height. At the suspension, not the sheetmetal. You can set it at factory specs, or adjust to your liking. It's the difference from the torsion bar adjusting arm, then from the lower ball joint/steering arm, as measured from a level floor surface.

Are you talking about the compression and rebound valving??

There should be a large threadable nut under the spring. That's the baby you want to turn to get the ride height up/down.

If you mean The "C" & "R" settings, yes they are set the same. To take the preload out, do you back them both out CCW to zero setting?
Most 4 links have the right upper bar set for preload. They adjust that for a straight launch. If the bar is loaded it can also change the height some.

Auto Transport Service
Back