• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ride height

plowman

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
How do you check your ride height? floor to control arm?????

I just checked mine on my '69 runner from the ground to the bottom middle of the fender. If I'm thinking about it correctly checking at the lower control arm won't help you because that height should remain constant. It's everything above that point that should change. Anyway I keep my height at 26.5" from ground to bottom fender.

There is a convoluted process for checking ride height laid out in the service manual (I remember reading it once) and best I can recall it had you take several measurements off the lower control arms, or in that area. Seemed over complicated at the time, but I think it was all based on a comparison of the two measurement points.

That is pretty much the only way to know what the factory height is supposed to be, cause I don't remember anything about a measurement at the fender or bumper.

Oops.....forgot. The only point on the LCA that would remain constant is at the ball joint. As the Tbars are adjusted the outer end becomes a pivot point, and the inside (where the Tbars slip in) will be adjusted up and down. So the outside is constant, but the inside isn't.

Does the service manual provide numbers? I'm wondering the same thing as I'm in the process of looking for the factory ride height as well. Seems to me it would differ depending on wheel/tire size.

It does have numbers and isn't affected by tire size. The service manual has you measure two points on the control arm like runner says above. You measure inner and outer ends and they should be within half an inch of each other. Really it's just a way to check the angle of the control arm.

Yup, he "tree'd" me on that. It's all relative. A taller tire will increase the ground clearance and therefore the ride height IF you don't adjust it down to compensate for the taller tire. But the ride height isn't relative to the ground, it is as HitIt said, a relationship between the inner and outer ends of the lower control arm.

Auto Transport Service
Back