• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right rear drum locking up

truetriplex

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
On my 69 GTX, under standard braking conditions, when I apply my brakes (both EASILY or hard, and it doesn't matter on the speed), my right rear brake will lock up (even when applying minimal pressure). It does let go if I remove my foot from the pedal, but will lock up again if I so much as touch the pedal. I have an idea as to the problem, but would appreciate an unbiased response from you as to the issue, AND the repair. FYI, the brake system was gone through just 6000 miles ago and the rear shoes look good (and even) on both sides.

Make sure there is no axle lube leaking. If ok. I would chamfer the lead edge of the shoes then correctly adjust them. Starting with backing off the emergency brake then adjusting service brake with final adjustment on the emergency brake.

You dont by chance have the long and short shoes turned around on that axle?

Self adjusting brake screwing up.

‘69 GTX didn’t have self-adjusters. At least the drum brake cars with 11” drums didn’t, I’m not sure if disc cars with 10.5” rear drums had them or not.

My guess is contaminated lining or an out of round drum.

Self adjusting brake screwing up.
Thanks for the help. I made sure that the shoes were on correct, and there is NOT any grease leakage. It is all nice and dry. I will check out the emergency brake and self adjusters. I am not sure if the wheel cylinder on the driver side is malfunctioning, and forcing the brake fluid to the passenger side. The passenger side is the one locking up. Any method to "test" the wheel cylinder on the car?

‘69 GTX didn’t have self-adjusters. At least the drum brake cars with 11” drums didn’t, I’m not sure if disc cars with 10.5” rear drums had them or not.

My guess is contaminated lining or an out of round drum.
This is a front disc brake car and it did come with self-adjusting rear brakes.

You could check wheel cyl with drum half off. Who pushes brake pedal don't smash it. Don't get fingers caught. As a test have the brakes adjusted properly and make the self adjuster not work. Buy manual adjusters, they have larger teeth.

I had this issue with my 97 Dodge truck. I removed the drum and removed a lot of rusty scale from inside and it was fine from then on.

I had this problem in my 71 and it ended up being the brake lining itself was in the wrong position. As are most Chinese made linings. Either too far forward or to the rear I forget. Someone started a thread about it

Auto Transport Service
Back