• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring gear .001 loose on carrier.....deal killer?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm no expert but have been doing gears for over 30 years and had some that went on pretty easily but you couldn't spin it once it was tapped on the fit. What say you experts? Any experience with a ring gear that just fell onto the fit? Will probably use it since I've had it on the shelf for at least 5 years and thinking .001 ain't gonna hurt anything. This is for a Dana 70 and may pull a heavy trailer from time to time but nothing over 7500....I hope.

I wouldn't worry about .001". The bolts will center the ring gear and of course the friction between the ring and carrier will stop any movement. Do check the run out of the carrier/gear in 4 places.
Mike

I wouldn’t sweat it one bit. Besides, you use loc tite on the ring gear bolts, it’s not going anywhere.

Use new bolts and get some Loctite 640 sleeve retainer on the inside ring if you are concerned about the gap. That is what that stuff is for and works great in industrial settings. I believe something should fill the void in those situations. Works wonders on old Harley flywheel assy's that don't want to get inline.

Just got done nailing the ring gear bolts down. Man, I'm out of shape. Still trying to take it easy on my right arm since pulling something in it 6 weeks ago so the left arm got the workout. Nothing pulled so far but it's tired and it's not easy right now just picking up the diff to place it on the axle! I'm leaving it there until I'm ready to plug it in and will probably have to use the floor jack to do that! Sure hope I don't have to remove the bearings to add or subtract shims but I'm dreaming now lol. I've placed shims behind the races before too so just maybe....

Use new bolts and get some Loctite 640 sleeve retainer on the inside ring if you are concerned about the gap. That is what that stuff is for and works great in industrial settings. I believe something should fill the void in those situations. Works wonders on old Harley flywheel assy's that don't want to get inline.
I'm thinking it'll be fine....just needed to see what others had to say and felt that .001 isn't a deal breaker but since I've never had a new gear that was loose out of the box, it's best to ask questions. And I bought a full kit with all the options :D

Auto Transport Service
Back