• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadbird's 1970 Roadrunner restoration.

Well it's Friday the 26th of July and I just thought I update on things thats been happening since my last post. I spoke with a guy this past week who has a 1964 Dodge Dart 4 door with a large slant 6. Said he got it when his brother past away awhile back and has been sitting for like a year or more roughly. This car is a true survivor and he is willing to sell it between me and him for $1250. I have been seriously considering buying this car and putting the 426 street wedge pictured above into this 4 door Dart. I like the idea because it's like the ultimate street sleeper and even with the original off white color stays as is. So what do you think? Should I go for it or spend what little money and continue to save and buy the more expensive parts for my current Roadrunner project? I appreciate the advice and guidance in which way I should go.

the BB 4 door dart sounds like a cool idea. However would having two projects in the works distract you and create more difficulty focusing on the RR resto and would it put a dent in your budget for the RR?

Financially: Yes. But it runs and I could use it as a daily driver up until the Roadrunner is done and then build the 426 after for it. What do you think? I gave myself 3 years to complete my Roadrunner and on the road, and I still have about 2 years to get it done.

Roadbird, you're still on active duty right? If so, flush those plans, stick to ONE project. Look at me, I got in way over my head, and, now, I'm barely making any progress on any of my stuff, but, tons of other dudes' stuff is getting done b/c I'm just that way, and it's a business. Plus, you never know where the military will take you, and for how long, etc.

Stick to your plan. If you could do your RR in 2 years instead of 3, you could find an other project to restore...

I agree with these guys, stick with one project. With your bird, you already have a pretty intense project. Buying that Dart will only draw out your timeline and funds. As a comparison I spent many many many worknights up to 1-2AM, weekends sucked up with 14-16 hour days, and even weeks of vacation spent bringing the Plymouth back to life. IMO, trying to do two would get simply overwhelming time and budget wise. It's good to have goals on a "wanted" finishline for your project, but by no means don't plan on making it. 99% of the time, it isn't going to happen. Trying to meet a deadline may lead to cutting corners, short fuses, wasted time and money, and ending up with a car you're not completely happy with in the end.

I would tend to agree, stick with one project @ a time, unless you have the necessary funds to keep multiple projects going, or absolutely have to have it... Been there done that, way too many deterrents or financial issues, with multiple projects going at the same time... good luck either way

I would tend to agree with what has been said. Counting the one I am working on I have 4 other projects waiting in the wings. You will be trying to get parts for your sleeper and not get much done on your real project. Been there done that. That's why I downsized so that would be one less project I don't have to look for parts. Go back to your first few post where I thought you put up a photo of a marriage license. You don't want Roxanne to think your steppin' out on her now do ya. Just my 0.02 worth.

I agree with NOT having two projects. I have two projects right now, my 1970 Road Runner (which is what I REALLY want to work on) and my 1960 Corvette. Even though the Corvette is nearing completion, there is still always a struggle with what little time I have: Which car to work on?

Yeah, I said I would make my 1970 a driver while I finish the Corvette, but making it a viable driver has been taking way more time than I had hoped (but yet somehow I knew it would). Cleaning up a few non-working gauges turned into an entire dash reconstructions, with new wiring. Slapping on some exhaust manifolds turned into a whole new set of headers and exhaust, and so on.

The biggest pain is the space to work on them. One project car, and the room and cataloging of parts, space for the car itself, etc. is a lot of space. Two makes it a lot more difficult.

I did have to snag the Road Runner while I had the chance because it was a deal and it was my dream car. If this four door is a dream car then snag it and do the best you can. If it is not, then I would suggest you concentrate on the Road Runner and get that done.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Hawk

Thanks everybody I kinda agree with you all and so the decision I made already is to forego the Dart and continue on Roxanne. Who knows maybe if I'm done with my Roadrunner I might go for the Dart if it's still there, it's not even my dream car but I'm a sucker for really cheap deals and I really like my negotiation and wheelin and dealin skills. Anyways I'm more interested in finding a 1965 Belvedere or Satellite, or a 1964 Savoy or Polara and all 2 doors for my 426 Street Wedge. I guess lately for the past 3 years I've had the urge and need for speed or just to fast. I really need to finish my Roadrunner because I can't stand it anymore. I have to admit it I have a real addiction to old Mopar muscle or just the extreme desire to travel really fast in an old cool Roadrunner like my Roxanne. Thank you all folks. Johnny O.

Also, one thing that many of us hobbyists omit, or even ignore is the cost of creating our cars! I figure, if you don't have at least $1000.00 per month to blow on your car project, however a more realistic number would be $2500.00, this will afford your car 30-40 hrs (max) in the month (that's if you farm it out for some aspects), and there may be some money in there for parts.

A big issue I had was the lack of reality of costs, and what it actually takes to make progress! I have seen it first-hand in doing other people's projects, it takes a lot of time, and, this business is all time based, and working one hour yields one hour of pay, unlike Paint and Body folks that get payed 2.5 hrs for example to fix a fender, and they hustle to get it done in 45 minutes...this is how they make money. So, just hang in there, and I didn't catch your answer Roadbird on whether or not you're on active duty still?

Also, one thing that many of us hobbyists omit, or even ignore is the cost of creating our cars! I figure, if you don't have at least $1000.00 per month to blow on your car project, however a more realistic number would be $2500.00, this will afford your car 30-40 hrs (max) in the month (that's if you farm it out for some aspects), and there may be some money in there for parts.

A big issue I had was the lack of reality of costs, and what it actually takes to make progress! I have seen it first-hand in doing other people's projects, it takes a lot of time, and, this business is all time based, and working one hour yields one hour of pay, unlike Paint and Body folks that get payed 2.5 hrs for example to fix a fender, and they hustle to get it done in 45 minutes...this is how they make money. So, just hang in there, and I didn't catch your answer Roadbird on whether or not you're on active duty still?

Yes I'm still on Active Duty and I'll be ETSing on Oct 29th and I start my terminal leave at midnight tonight. 91 days of no work with pay and continue my college classes on Aug. 12. So I have a little more time to invest into Roxanne. And I can't wait for the all mopar car show and swapmeet on Aug. 18th here at Frontier Park in Graham, Washington. One of the largest single day all Mopar and swapmeet on the West Coast. I'll be looking and buying parts and stuff for my Roadrunner. Hope to see some of you folks there. PM me if your going to be there and maybe hopefully we can meet.

Anyone know what size the upper ball joint is on a 1970 Roadrunner? And where I can find the large socket for removing and installing these?

Anyone interested in a 1975, 9 1/4" rearend, 3.55:1 gear ratio sure grip? $500 takes it. Pics coming soon.

you should be able to rent the socket at some parts stores, or Harbor Freight sells them IIRC

you should be able to rent the socket at some parts stores, or Harbor Freight sells them IIRC[/QUOTE

Thanks and I also found out from a friend of a friend that he's got the two different size sockets for them. Cool and I'll probably be borrowing them from him. Supposed to go back this afternoon to get them but didn't have time, took my son to a movie.

More pics of parts that I purchased at Sunbust swapmeet.

Attachments

• photo (34).JPG
    photo (34).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 223
  • photo (35).JPG
    photo (35).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 232
  • photo (36).JPG
    photo (36).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 248
  • photo (37).JPG
    photo (37).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 238
Dude! Why mess with the fan at this stage of the game when the body is still wanting massive attention? Trust me, these parts you're scooping up now may not matter when you need them, you may change your mind and put a new HEMI in your car body, and you won't need ANY of this stuff. Post some pics of the body, the status of it, and what you're doing to the body.

Anybody know where I can find one like this?

Attachments

• photo (39).JPG
    photo (39).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 211
  • photo (40).JPG
    photo (40).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 212
  • photo (41).JPG
    photo (41).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 196
Auto Transport Service
Back