• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadbird's 1970 Roadrunner restoration.

Roadbird

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Well folks she finally arrived and she's more horrifying in my face. Here are some pics and hope it does her some justice. BTW her name is Roxanne the Roadrunner or Roxy for short. Hope the pics can post.

Attachments

• Hereshecomes096.jpg
    Hereshecomes096.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,655
Last edited:
Only see 1 pic....but, I've been watching you talk about it for a while now. Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Thanks for your service. Can't wait to see it unfold! Good luck and remember....you are suppose to have fun.

i thought it was a marraige certifacate until i looked twice and saw the bill of sale on the top of the page.Hope you and roxy have a lifelong relationship with many memories.

Only see 1 pic....but, I've been watching you talk about it for a while now. Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Thanks for your service. Can't wait to see it unfold! Good luck and remember....you are suppose to have fun.
I am having fun with it to an extent. She's in worst shape than the pics but still pretty solid and at least not like swiss cheese. Still have alot of good original steel on the car.

Okay, looked at the smallest pictures EVER! But from what I can see it looks like a project to me. Did you decode the plate to see what it was supposed to have for drive train? Looks like a vinyl roof was pulled off.

-=Photon440=-

Good to see you made it home safe,first and foremost...I'm sure you'll enjoy your 70 RR as much as I enjoy mine...

VIN and Fender Tag Decode:

Okay, looked at the smallest pictures EVER! But from what I can see it looks like a project to me. Did you decode the plate to see what it was supposed to have for drive train? Looks like a vinyl roof was pulled off.

-=Photon440=-
Starting from Top: 26 END
J45 M21 M31 R11 V21 V8X
V1X A87 C16 C55 H51 J25
EV2 P6XA TX9 606 244783
E63 D32 RM21 N0G 237011

Thats whats listed on the fender tag. I'm still going to decode the broadcast sheet and post it on here later.

-=Photon440=-
Yeah, I was the one that pulled what was left of the vinyl top. D32 for trans. D53 for axles.

Here is a little more pics.

Attachments

• Here she comes 005 (640x480).jpg
    Here she comes 005 (640x480).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,443
  • Here she comes 010 (640x480).jpg
    Here she comes 010 (640x480).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2,460
  • Here she comes 087 (640x480).jpg
    Here she comes 087 (640x480).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,404
  • Here she comes 089 (640x480).jpg
    Here she comes 089 (640x480).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,419
Good luck, keep the small stuff and blast them yourself -- it will take forever, but, you can get the feel of doing it yourself with your new tools. Send the body out bro, you got a rotisserie? You should have had them drop it off here enroute to WA for a blast session with yours truly!

Looks like a good project roadbird! She's gonna keep you busy for a while. Looking forward to watching your resto kick off.

Great Project. Enjoy working on the car. It will be nice once you get her done...

It definately looks like a good candidate in these pictures, there have been much worse.

Just a quick question, since there was an earlier discussion about it; was the roof to quarter panel seam on your car smoothed over with lead or plastic filler from the factory?

-=Photon440=-

Good luck, keep the small stuff and blast them yourself -- it will take forever, but, you can get the feel of doing it yourself with your new tools. Send the body out bro, you got a rotisserie? You should have had them drop it off here enroute to WA for a blast session with yours truly!
Should have but was way to excited and all I wanted was to see my RR. At the moment I am looking for a Rotisserie. Looking for a used one that's not going to set me back a whole lot somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.00 max. I already bought for $100.00 a cherry picker and a engine stand all with heavy duty wheels. I'll post pics soon.

Last edited:
It definately looks like a good candidate in these pictures, there have been much worse.

Just a quick question, since there was an earlier discussion about it; was the roof to quarter panel seam on your car smoothed over with lead or plastic filler from the factory?

-=Photon440=-

Mine came with lead.

Last edited:
great project. keep the pics comming!
what are your plans?

My plan is to restore her to her glorious days as an original fresh out of the assembly line. Or at least try. I took alot of pictures but I am having trouble trying to upload them here from my computer. I have tried photobucket and some other photo app. but it's to big a file for here and I tried shrinking it but it's not working. My computer is loaded with different types of photo manager programs and still does not want to do what I want it to do.

Hey Roadbird, after having built two rotisseries, I can tell you that steel alone is more than 500 bucks for one rotisserie and you're going to need casters too, for a good one, each one is going to be around 45 bucks per piece. Rotisseries are not for sale too often used that is, and, the ones that are manufactured are at least 2 grand. You got to have the right equipment to head into this battle dude.

Auto Transport Service
Back