• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner Radio and Horn Not working

Steven Tuttle

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am currently trying to find out information on figuring out my issues, my radio is getting power, and is getting 12 volts but am not getting any sound, I traced the wires for the speakers and they are hooked up.

As for my horn situation, I have a roadrunner so I have 2 purple roadrunner horns and they work but not inside the cab at the horn buttons. I have bought multiple different horn pads from the internet, and I cannot find a solution.

Thank you in advance!

Factory AM radio? The antenna ground must be good. Check the antenna connection at the radio as well - mine gives me trouble.

If you ground the wire to the horn pad - you should energize the horn. Next would be to look at the horn relay.

Demonic is on it. For the radio, you might also want to try a known good speaker (in case the radio is fine & your speaker is blown). For the horns, the horn relay is a good guess or maybe the "horn adapter" which isn't really the horn pad. In other words, with the center of the steering wheel off, that one black wire should make the horns honk when it's grounded on the center nut/bolt for the steering wheel. If it does honk, then the relay is good & you have a problem with the horn adapter ("floating" plate that one black wire attaches to).

Use a 1.5v battery and hook up the neg to the neg terminal of the speaker. Then use the other wire and quickly touch and remove the other wire to the pos terminal. You should hear a pop as you connect/disconnect it.

Do you have the ground jumper on your column?
beerestoration2018 1770.JPG

Thank you everyone for the help, I took a 9 volt battery and tested the speakers, they popped so it works. I made sure the antenna was grounded well, doesn’t seem like that is it.

For the horn I took the horn pad off and i see that the insides of the pads are dry rotted. I am going to try and hook the horns to the windshield washer fluid so when I push it in the horns beep. Unless anyone has any better suggestions I take all into consideration since I’m still learning. Thanks again for all the feedback

No I do not, what does that do?
Exactly as described... it's your ground wire to make the horn work! The column is mounted on plastic sliders so you need the ground wire from frame to column. The horn contact ring is completing the ground circuit to the horn relay.

Steering column ground! Also, your radio, if the antenna wire is hooked up and the speakers work, and the radio is getting power, make sure the actual antenna is screwed in to the fender mount.

So just an update for everyone that has been helping me, seems after I decided to start tracing the wiring and checking the horn relay, and making sure things were grounded correctly, I put a new turn signal switch in and it works now!

For the radio issue I bought one from classic industries so we will see what happens when it arrives! thanks for all the help

Auto Transport Service
Back