• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROLL RACING have u tried it.

RT K_line

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has done it at a track. It's becoming a big thing at my local track. You take off at 30 or 40 mph. I still have a set of 2.90 something gears somewhere.

I was just wondering if anyone has done it at a track. It's becoming a big thing at my local track. You take off at 30 or 40 mph. I still have a set of 2.90 something gears somewhere.
Do you still burnout? How do you know when to "go"? 1/4 mile?

They take off from the end of the staging lane then punch it when you get to the starting line. No burnout though.

In an effort to test and tune with less risk of tearing things up, (which I have been doing lately) I do a idle in 1st gear (4 speed) launch. .......................MO

I do a idle in 1st gear (4 speed) launch. .......................MO
When I had stock steel 15" Rallye wheels and 275 or 285? 15 Goodrich T/As I couldn't floor it in 1st or poof smoked tires. With the Classic Industries 17" x 9" wide aluminum Rallye wheels and (IMO) excellent Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials in 315/35/17 I can hit wot right off idle, but I am still starting out at idle. 3 pedals.
The rolling start sounds like my kind of start for my current setup.

That's more like a real street race, I like the idea

imo all that does is give the turbo, all wheel drive, and Honda guys a handicap ! a buddy just lost a street race to a Subaru this exact same way, This is not imo street racing, its Handicap racing !!

imo all that does is give the turbo, all wheel drive, and Honda guys a handicap ! a buddy just lost a street race to a Subaru this exact same way, This is not imo street racing, its Handicap racing !!
I agree it's not really street racing but how many times has there been that guy next to you jumping and reving next to you when your cruising. I know it's happened to me and on more than one occasion.

It would seem like a rolling start would benefit 2 wheel drive cars vs 4 wheel drive cars. 4WD always gets good off the line traction from a dead stop.

That's the exact way I used to street race in high school 90% of the time. Some Chevelle or whatever would pull up next to me and one of us would flash 1, 2, 3 with our fingers and punch it

It would seem like a rolling start would benefit 2 wheel drive cars vs 4 wheel drive cars. 4WD always gets good off the line traction from a dead stop.

I think it depends if the two wheel drive car got the chance to do a burn out, and if the all wheel drive car is a turbo car, in a street race you typically don't get the chance to Spool up, its two burnout's & bang!!! of the flash light and its On !!
buddy of mine raced a Subaru turbo AWD, Subaru left on a roll, my buddie was at a dead stop, the road was really bad needless to say the Subaru was gone, my buddie's pushing 650+ on a 3600# car, he couldn't get any traction,
imo drag racing is at a dead stop, imo its just a Handicap for the other guy, you wanna street race ? build your car, spend the money ! again just my two cents ![/QUOTE]

It's called the "Flying Quarter" over these parts....and it was done a long time ago as a trial. A guy I know with a 440 Superbird made around 165mph running 2.94 rears and a shot of NOS.

And another guy I met recently set a land speed record in NZ for his Porsche (in 1996)....but nearly killed himself doing it. Arms look like flippers now. It ain't worth going through all that surgery just to run a car faster than normal.

Must not of had arm restraints.

I make test runs in the street. I have a spot 1/2 mile from the garage that is 3 lanes each way ALL concrete! Very rare that I will hit the go pedal with a car next to me. There are ALOT of cars on long island and cruze night is every night with Friday being the largest.
Club meeting.>>>>

I almost got hit, record light wouldn't come on right away. When it did I glanced in the rear view then scooted out.If it came right on like it's supposed to,there would not be any cars around me and I like it that way!

Auto Transport Service
Back