Roller Cam Question

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. Virg464

Virg464 Active Member

Local Time:
    1:00 AM
    Building a motor for my Coronet and installing a roller cam and rockers. This is a first for me, never broke in a roller cam, if there is a break in process. I wouldn't think there is, other than normal break in for the rest of the motor (rings)? But like I said this is a first for me. So, anyone got a suggestion?

2. Lefty71

Lefty71 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:00 AM
    You dont need to break in a roller cam like a regular cam, thats true. However, if a new build, you still want to let the rings seat and all spankin new parts to accostomed to one another (bearings in rod, cam and mains and newly installed lifters and rocker fulcrums). A couple heat cool cycles without excessive load or speed will do the whole motor some good. And change the oil before you go racing, as well as cut the filter to look for issues is also a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • 451Mopar

451Mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:00 PM
      I let all those roller parts (Lifters, rockers, timing chain/gear) soak in oil before installing them.
      Other than, pre-oil, let it break-in for the piston rings and valve train.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.