• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller Cam Question

Virg464

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
Building a motor for my Coronet and installing a roller cam and rockers. This is a first for me, never broke in a roller cam, if there is a break in process. I wouldn't think there is, other than normal break in for the rest of the motor (rings)? But like I said this is a first for me. So, anyone got a suggestion?

You dont need to break in a roller cam like a regular cam, thats true. However, if a new build, you still want to let the rings seat and all spankin new parts to accostomed to one another (bearings in rod, cam and mains and newly installed lifters and rocker fulcrums). A couple heat cool cycles without excessive load or speed will do the whole motor some good. And change the oil before you go racing, as well as cut the filter to look for issues is also a good idea.

I let all those roller parts (Lifters, rockers, timing chain/gear) soak in oil before installing them.
Other than, pre-oil, let it break-in for the piston rings and valve train.

Auto Transport Service
Back