• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof gutter seam sealer removal

c.moo

Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
This is on a 63 b body , got all the seam sealer off the whole car except in the roof gutters , this isn't coming off like the rest of it did , try heat gun , no go , wire wheel . putty knife ,razor knife , screwdriver takes forever and still can't get it all , it's different seam sealer then what was on other places on the car. Damn good stuff what ever it is ! What is the best quickest way to remove it . Thanks

I used a chisel to go straight down and break it loose along the very outer edge of the roof gutter on a 66 b body. After that i was able to chip it out with a screwdriver. Even doing that, there were still little bits and pieces left but not much. All the cracks in mine made it easier to get out but that stuff still held on good.

I use a heavy duty bent pick from Tractor Central. Not a fun job by any means.

Get all you can with a dull screw driver, little bend up on the blade. Careful of the seams.
After that your air drill and a course steel wire brush bit.

This is on a 63 b body , got all the seam sealer off the whole car except in the roof gutters , this isn't coming off like the rest of it did , try heat gun , no go , wire wheel . putty knife ,razor knife , screwdriver takes forever and still can't get it all , it's different seam sealer then what was on other places on the car. Damn good stuff what ever it is ! What is the best quickest way to remove it . Thanks
No easy way I'm afraid, elbow grease, beers and some music...friends would be helpful. All the hand tools mentioned above would help get it done. I've known guys to use an air chisel but I wouldn't recommend it.

If it's that tough why remove it? Scuff, re-paint.
Not going do half *** , what seam that I did get off was rust underneath ,not much but still rust , got car on rotisserie , all metal work is done , all is left is getting the seam sealer out of the gutters and cleaned before putting on epoxy primer on whole car , been working on this thing for 4 years now not going to cut corners now .

This will probably work, wear gloves and eye protection. I've found them in 2" and 3" diameter. Turn them over when they get a little dull, or find some with a fixed arbor and use a reversible drill.

Mule Skinner Encapsulated Brush

Mule Skinner.jpg

I'd run a thin layer of seam-sealer over it, and prep for paint.

Not going do half *** , what seam that I did get off was rust underneath ,not much but still rust , got car on rotisserie , all metal work is done , all is left is getting the seam sealer out of the gutters and cleaned before putting on epoxy primer on whole car , been working on this thing for 4 years now not going to cut corners now .
Who said anything about half ***? You never mentioned what kind of shape it was in to begin with. If it was all intact, you f@cked up by tearing into it. If it was just cracked, you could have skim coated, prep and painted as Elk says. If it was all chunked up and coming apart then you're doing the correct thing to clean it up. As others have said, not a fun project.

No I didn't mention what kind of shape it was in , I ask how to removed it , how could I f@cked up tearing into it ,stuff is over 61 years old needed to be out of there , didn't see in your comment how to removed it .
Who said anything about half ***? You never mentioned what kind of shape it was in to begin with. If it was all intact, you f@cked up by tearing into it. If it was just cracked, you could have skim coated, prep and painted as Elk says. If it was all chunked up and coming apart then you're doing the correct thing to clean it up. As others have said, not a fun project.

Up date got it out of there , used different flavors of round wire wheel brushes and razor knife and pick with hook end . Was expecting the worst when sealer was removed , only bad rust was on the a -pillars , nothing sand paper and wire brush won't take care of . Thanks everybody and if I offended anybody didn't mean to.

No I didn't mention what kind of shape it was in , I ask how to removed it , how could I f@cked up tearing into it ,stuff is over 61 years old needed to be out of there , didn't see in your comment how to removed it .
My guess based on your response is that it was all intact and you tore into it anyway. Whatever. Glad you got it all out of there. Sounds like it will be a top notch resto.
Going the extra mile always pays off.

I use a propane torch. Heat and it peels up like a ribbon. Use a flat screw driver and a wire brush when needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back