• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking of a route 66 trip in 24. I am not sure if I want to plan a spring or a fall trip. Spring weather can be so unpredictable.
I have always lived for work, I have been self employed 28 years, and I only take 6 days vacation a year. It is time to change that.
If anyone has suggestions on what to see or what not to see. I would greatly appreciate them

Oklahoma has the most road miles of 66 that are still drivable. In fact, there is still much of the original alignment left here, and in AZ and NM, especially.

Each State has their own 66 guide to attractions, restaurants, and hotels and such. Contact the Tourist Bureaus in IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ and CA, and they'll provide you with comprehensive guides to 66 for their respective States. You can get a "passport" that you can get stamped at various roadside attractions along the entire navigable route to help document your journey, plus it's fun!

In 2010, I drove with my family on a two-week, old-fashioned Summertime road trip, starting in OKC and heading West to Kingman, AZ; driving as much of 66 as possible. And there is a LOT of 66 that is still accessible, even today. The pics below are at the Round Barn in Arcadia, OK; and an abandoned truck stop on the old 66 near Hinton, OK

There's not enough internet to describe what to see and do along Route 66!

Coronet at Round Barn.jpg

coronet on the HRH 17.jpg

Last edited:
I did this back in 1997, driving a 1979 Cadillac Seville I bought in Phoenix back to Chicago. I set up no specific stops in advance, but allowed time from breakdowns, which I ended up needing. My time frame straddled Easter weekend, and I had no issues with weather. My wife had to wire money to me on Easter Sunday for a car repair, which makes a great story now, but she didn't think so at the time.

If you do the spring, consider the timing of the Route 66 Fun Run in AZ, usually the first weekend in May. Our car club does this event every year, with about 20-30 cars, and it is a blast! Fun Run

Over on FCBO we're thinking about September Chicago to st Louis for a number of us Chicago based members. I've been on some of it a couple times and there are a few nifty things. Not as cool as out west though.
There are some good sites and books that have the currently drivable segments and the different alignments over time.
When we went to Branson I happened on a couple miles of the original alignment and really really old pavement still, was cool.

I forgot what state it's in, but rest stops on the interstate that are actually part of Route 66 are themed after the original road..

Did it years ago in spring, one of the best trips ever ! Bakersfield to St. Louis was the most enjoyable of a cross-country jaunt. Grand Canyon is a must-see.

Went to KC, KS 2022 to see son & grandkids; Hit Evil Knievil museum in Topeka, OKC Memorial then hit RT66. Went down to Clinton for museum, Hydro for Lucille's gas station (drove 66mph on 66 after a burn-out, had to!!) then drove the Pony Bridge, did a photo there. Short vaca, but got some of it done, bucket list partial check mark.
20210820_132513.jpg
20210820_132555.jpg20210820_144641.jpg20210820_141743.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back