• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 1/2 week road trip from Massachusetts to Florida and back

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
Submit & I are leaving on Saturday to see and stay with friends on the east & west coast of Friday, so I'll be a little scarce here for a while. While we are going direct down 95 to the Daytona area, we plan to take our time on the return trip from the Trampa area & do some sightseeing on the way home. I've been told that Savannah GA and Charleston SC are places to stop in and visit. Has anyone got any tips what to do & see there, and possibly other places on the return trip route up 95, or possibly the inland route of 77-81?

:thumbsup:

If you had any interest in the TV show The Walking Dead, the town of Sonoia GA is where they filmed most of it. It is a small town and they still host tours of the locations. I was a huge fan and enjoyed the experience. You'll like the greenery and weather in the south.

The inland route brings you up close to Gettysburg, a stop if into history. Also in staying on 81 brings you to Scranton where Steamtown Railroad Museum is, what car guy dosen't like steam engines? I've driven to Florida for work several times and avoid 95 because of the crazy drivers.

Submit & I are leaving on Saturday to see and stay with friends on the east & west coast of Friday, so I'll be a little scarce here for a while. While we are going direct down 95 to the Daytona area, we plan to take our time on the return trip from the Trampa area & do some sightseeing on the way home. I've been told that Savannah GA and Charleston SC are places to stop in and visit. Has anyone got any tips what to do & see there, and possibly other places on the return trip route up 95, or possibly the inland route of 77-81?

:thumbsup:
Largest private Aircraft Museum in US, 30 miles east of Tampa on I4 Central Florida Air Museum | Fantasy of Flight
Gartlis Museum in Ocala, about 100 miles north of Tampa on I75,
Ichetucknee Springs State Park
Me personally, I would add a couple hundred miles to the trip and go inland route, way more to see/visit. and you are not backtracking
Great AF Museum in Warner Robbins in Ga just east off I75 museumofaviation.org
Stone Mtn just east of Atlanta is a bucket list visit stonemountainpark.com
Ringgold Gap Civil War road side memorial is enlightening
Chattanooga has a great aquarium
Smokie Mountains
Asheville
Plenty of underground caverns
Numerous big dams
Pic from Pilot Mtn NC

IMG_5743.JPG

Last edited:
@DeltaV lives in Savannah GA so thats a must stop to meet him :lol: , he would know what to see. Charleston Is nice to visit. Be safe and have fun.

So that's why you have been putting so many posts up; to make up for when you will be away. LOL. Have a great trip!

charleston sc , uss yorktown ( aircraft carrier) also has a submarine and a vietnam fire base to tour . very much recommended stop if ya like big ships full of airplanes!!! wonderful place in wilmington nc , there is a battleship museum also, another great thing to see in a nice town ….

If you want to avoid the 95 madness around Baltimore and Washington take Delaware Route 1 when you get below Wilmington. Then pick up RT 113 and go down through the Eastern Shore of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. It's not that much longer, you get to go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and your heart rate will be a lot lower!

Definitely visit Charleston. Plenty to do and see there, Ft. Sumpter, CSS Hunley, the market, the Battery. Then there is South of the Border and don't forget to stock up on fireworks.

If you like history check this out: The Friends of The Hunley – The World's First Successful Combat Submarine
My wife and I have done four trips to Charleston since our first on a conference in 1998, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. We've stayed at the Belmond Charleston Place Hotel twice, most decadent lodging experience of our lives both times. Perfect location for seeing the downtown attractions. The historic hotel was restored years ago as part of a downtown revitalization effort, rates are steep, but it's an experience in itself.

I avoid 95 whenever possible, it's one of the most boring highways. I'd go back inland, see Stone Mountain then up through the Smokies, Blue Ridge Parkway, then on to boring 81.
Wave when you hit 84 past Scranton!
Happy trails

When it comes to Interstates, boring is good. I would much rather be on 95 than 75, I try to avoid I-4 at all costs. If you’re going to Savannah and Charleston, both have a lot to see. Downtown Savannah was interesting, but not my cup of tea due to crowds. We liked Skidaway Island near there and liked Wormsloe plantation. As for backroads through Florida, you pretty much have to get north of Orlando.

A couple years ago the wife and I took a 2 month trip, since we already had done from Maine to Virginia we started at Charleston (verry cool), worked our way through the sea side hitting some realy nice places.
Went as far south as st Augustine (super cool, take the coastal road from Jacksonville!).
Then across the Florida pan handle following the gulf coast until almost Housten TX.
Then stopped by our joint in Scottsdale for a week, then headed back through Colorado, slowly finding our way home again.
Great trip, now I think we have probably 80% of this country under our belt.
cost a small fortune staying on the water all the time but well worth it!

Went from Central Florida to New York Border. 95 sucks. Leaving Allentown, I’d drive to Harrisburg to avoid it. From Maryland on up it wasn’t even safe to stop for gas or food. I-81 up north, not sure where, had such a horrible road surface that stuff was bouncing out of pickup trucks. Until you get to the next construction zone. What are you driving? Take your Valentine 1 and hide it while in Virginia. We knew better than to go to Canada. Would have had to surrender the 38 and Radar to the RCMP at the time of arrest.

81B0B0D6-FA50-44C9-89F1-374C8C895849.png

0ABC7996-2CC1-474A-9F49-50F0F419B17D.png

Last edited:
We tried the Blue Ridge/Skyline too. Was ok til some crotch rocket killed himself at a curve. We had to back track about 40 miles while they brought in the Chopper. The Hellcat and Charger were both targets for hot rod nitwits in Stangs and the likes along the way.

Safe travels Mark. I am always envious of those who are retired. Enjoy it. I hope I live long enough to enjoy retirement and travel with my wife….

You know all this but, we go in one at a time at pee stops. Make sure she locks the doors when inside while you are fueling too. Double check your carry piece for easy access. Also, learn the language of the South. ALL words have 2 syllables. She-it. A good guess is that your server is asking if you want Fried Okra. Georgia Coast Golden Isles is nice. Also, Beaufort , South Carolina. Take the tour. Good time of year to go so it’s not so goddam hot. Take money. We spend so much on road trips it’s hard to believe. Hotels are running $200 a night. Under that there are curtains, screen doors, and lawn chairs. Residential. Georgia nice. Not as “California” looking as Florida is starting to look. Transitory-looking urban outdoorsman.

Last edited:
Family and I have been to St Augustine Fl dozens if times. Great place to kill a few days with LOADS of history

LOVE it. and plan to go back in the next year or two as wife has family west side of Jacksonville area

Auto Transport Service
Back