• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber fuel tank gasket install

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
So I did a little search here and couldn't find the answer. I got the proper fuel tank lock ring and rubber gasket from a source here. The aftermarket one I installed leaks when the tank is full. My question is, should I use any kind of lubricant on the rubber gasket to help it slide/seal better?

I coat it lightly with pst592 just so the ring can slide without bunching up the rubber. No leaks Bee, Bird or HP2

I had to use 2 gaskets to get it to seal. Made for a PITA to install the ring, but it has a tight seal. Good Luck

I saw in another post that someone used a light coat of vaseline on their filler tube grommet. Would this be ok for the rubber gasket?

I saw in another post that someone used a light coat of vaseline on their filler tube grommet. Would this be ok for the rubber gasket?
DO NOT USE VASELINE ....UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Vaseline is for softening rubber....handy for getting new door rubbers to seat nicely, but not for the fuel tank seal.
You could also try Permatex....a bit more tacky than what @dadsbee suggested, but it is impervious to fuel and oils.

My question is, should I use any kind of lubricant on the rubber gasket to help it slide/seal better?
Just to bring the weeds back a touch......when I installed a new gasket and lockring from a great member here at FBBO a few years back.....I just went in dry.

No lube, and no glue......no leaks. It was the lockring that made the difference. :thumbsup:

Just to bring the weeds back a touch......when I installed a new gasket and lockring from a great member here at FBBO a few years back.....I just went in dry.

No lube, and no glue......no leaks. It was the lockring that made the difference. :thumbsup:
Sometimes I've put it in dry, others with a little lube. Depends on how tight.

I used Permatex fuel resistant gasket dressing (85420) on mine. No leaks.

I used a very light coating of grease and I mean light. Enough to make it look wet. The lock ring was the correct thickness so it was extremely tight. It's in so I'll fill up later today and see how it is.

Auto Transport Service
Back