• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing and reinstalling a 53 year old headliner

PrescottJeff

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
Is it possible or practical to remove and reinstall the original headliner in my 71 Charger? My Charger has its share of problems but the interior is in great condition. I have a couple rust bubbles under the vinyl top at the windshield and A pillar that will most likely require some cutting and welding to repair.
Would it be possible to fold back the first section and leave the rest of it in place?

Total removal and reinstallation would prolly not be possible . 50 years of heat and time usually weakens the threads at all the seams. You might be lucky enough to just release the first section enough for repairs and get it put back if not much pulling is done. If you can get it back just enough to get the original creases back in their place you may be able to get more time from the original cover. ANY tugging will pull it apart. imho

As they say, nothing is impossible, but if you are able to take a 50+ year old headliner down and reinstall it without it tearing or coming apart, immediately go buy a lottery ticket. Just my opinion ofcourse.

If you can successfully remove the front section without damage you may be good if you can get the holes made from the anchors in the exact same spot. Pull only what you have to and gently. I would start in the middle and remove evenly and over a couple hours time IMHO

Might work....just never did have much luck with headliners that were 1/2 that age.

Got nothing to lose, give it a go. You have to get it out of the way for the repairs. it will go back on the same tooth on the holders. Just take it down, no need to wait. But a warm shop is better than cold.

I've swapped headliners in cars when they were 25 years old. The threads go bad and will pull apart at the seams.

If I were to attempt it I would probably spray some water on it maybe that would help it to not tear Not soak it but just sprits the whole thing might get the softness back into it. But I would also plan to buy a new one too. lol

you could use panel bond / structural adhesive to do the repairs without welding........ it would spare your headliner

I mix it on cardboard like body filler........ the nozzels kinda suck......... water proof and corrosion resistant

1708634783276.png

Auto Transport Service
Back