• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad day for my 69 B convertible

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I was driving into work yesterday in my 69 Sport Satellite convert and it just died on the highway. I pulled over, tried to start it and it did not sound right. The starter was not turning the motor over smoothly. It was hacking and weezing. With no tools, I just had AAA flatbed it home. I'm still tinkering but I think it jumped timing. If that's the case then I am pulling it and give it a full rebuild. It's the stock 318 2 barrel. I've had the car for 20 faithful years and it doesn't look like it's ever been out of the car. That's a pretty good run. With the other cars I am currently into, this one will have to go on the back burner for a while. So I will probably be asking for advice here and there in the future. Now the wife can't keep bugging me to drive it.
satellite 003.jpg

Plan the funeral, I'll come and take the remains off your hands. It will have a respectful end, trust me.
:lol:

Seriously, time for a powerplant upgrade.

I was coming home one Sunday night with my two small kids when my last timing chain in use, broke. I was able to coast into my driveway. I was so lucky with that. So, getting yours home safely is a blessing. I learned anything man made will break, bust, wear out and will need replacing in time. So, plan your engine's comeback, stock or up grading mods. It will give many more years of enjoyment. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Beautiful car, though. Too bad it happened at the start of convertible weather. Time for a 360 Magnum!

If it's a factory unmolested 318 you probably shucked the cam gear teeth since these were nylon. Had the same thing happen to my 73 Charger coming home from work, it just died. Since all that junk went to the bottom of the pan and the car had over 100000 miles on it I opted out for a rebuilt X-head 340 out of a 71 challenger. swapped it out in a weekend. Only regret was I should have changed out the TQ converter to a higher stall speed when I had the chance since that 340 likes RPM.

I know there was a 340 with a 6pack 69 or 70. I would upgrade and keep the original #'s block in a closet.

If it runs good (or did) I would be tempted to throw in a double roller and cruise on! Good point from BigBadDad below. Pull the pan and clean the debris out.

If it's a factory unmolested 318 you probably shucked the cam gear teeth since these were nylon. Had the same thing happen to my 73 Charger coming home from work, it just died. Since all that junk went to the bottom of the pan and the car had over 100000 miles on it I opted out for a rebuilt X-head 340 out of a 71 challenger. swapped it out in a weekend. Only regret was I should have changed out the TQ converter to a higher stall speed when I had the chance since that 340 likes RPM.
What he said above. The plastic timing gear debris need to be cleaned out of the oil pan and pickup. I speak from experience. Lost a 440 once due to plastic timing crumbs getting into the oil pump.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Beautiful car, though. Too bad it happened at the start of convertible weather. Time for a 360 Magnum!
I like the 360 magnum idea. I also have a 69 satellite convertible with the original 318 in it. It still runs strong but when it doesn’t…….I’m thinking 360 crate magnum.

Hey guys, keep in mind that a 360 Magnum would probably be a truck engine. The oil pans and pickup tubes from a truck don't fit into a car. And 318 pan and pickup will not fit the 360. You will need to find those from a 360 car engine.

Well, first don't you want to know what happened to it?

take a look, possibly replace the timing chain and run it like nothing ever happened........ anything in the pan will likely stay there

plug a air hose into each plug hole to see if it holds compression

I was driving into work yesterday in my 69 Sport Satellite convert and it just died on the highway. I pulled over, tried to start it and it did not sound right. The starter was not turning the motor over smoothly. It was hacking and weezing. With no tools, I just had AAA flatbed it home. I'm still tinkering but I think it jumped timing. If that's the case then I am pulling it and give it a full rebuild. It's the stock 318 2 barrel. I've had the car for 20 faithful years and it doesn't look like it's ever been out of the car. That's a pretty good run. With the other cars I am currently into, this one will have to go on the back burner for a while. So I will probably be asking for advice here and there in the future. Now the wife can't keep bugging me to drive it.
View attachment 1469509
Don't freak out. See if it's not that bad....timing chain or ignition maybe, or even a fuel pump. But, you might consider what you'd like for your next engine. You can probably find a 318 used engine to keep you driving this summer

A timing chain is a pretty cheap easy fix... If you put the car on the back burner & it will deteriorate... Keep it on the road & keep the wife happy...

Lots of timing chains have been replaced without pulling the pan, is it the best way? No... But it usually works fine..

Get the car back on the road & start gathering parts for a engine swap... Whether you decide to throw a temporary used engine in & have the original 318 rebuilt or build a different engine & leave the original engine in till your ready to d the swap...

Convertibles really don't need strokers & such, they are for cruising, getting out & putting some miles behind ya... Decent on fuel is a nice feature with fuel prices being what they are lately...

Hey guys, keep in mind that a 360 Magnum would probably be a truck engine. The oil pans and pickup tubes from a truck don't fit into a car. And 318 pan and pickup will not fit the 360. You will need to find those from a 360 car engine.
They sell the car pans and oil pickup kit. I just put one in my 65 Belvedere wagon. It was a late 70s truck 360.

I'm just poking around seeing what's out there for another temporary small block. My problem is that I'm trying to button up my 65 Belvedere wagon and we are doing a full resto on my 69 Dart. My time is a little thin right now.

I'm just poking around seeing what's out there for another temporary small block. My problem is that I'm trying to button up my 65 Belvedere wagon and we are doing a full resto on my 69 Dart. My time is a little thin right now.
The dart & the wagon haven't run in how long? the deterioration from sitting has already occurred & probably has been dealt with... The vert has been on the road... You wife likes it, that's half the battle right there.... Priorities man....

Do a compression test and you will know real quick if it jumped time or not.

what ignition?
what carburetor?

Once again @1 Wild R/T has it right. Fix this car first and keep it up and running. forget the 408 strokers and 360 magnums. Stock 318 is just fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back