• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad day for the Roadrunner…

Bummer. Glad you were not hurt.

I second the battery disconnect. Been through the whole thing with burn scars to prove it. Having had a car fire myself I do not leave any old car in the garage or shop with a connected battery, and I do not keep gasoline cans inside. They live in a locked metal box outside.

Sorry to see/hear that Paul. In the 80's when mine was written off, I was able
to buy it back for $100.00 as that's all the salvage yard would give them.

As a retired Fire Captain with 26 years of experience, I commend your quick thinking for moving your car out of the garage. I went to many house fires that were actually started by car fires in a garage or carport. I recommend having a plan to push or tow the car as far away as possible from the house (without putting yourself in danger). Also have fire extinguisher next to the door that goes between the house and garage. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do with your car.

Also, please keep us posted on which car insurer you have and how they treat you during the process. It might make a difference to the rest of us about our insurance company renewals or type of coverage. Thank you.

Oh man... so sorry. But, here's the deal... it's all (appears to be) cosmetic and totally can be restored. That car can definitely be brought back.
Thank goodness it didn't take the whole car and the house...

Well today was alignment day for the roadrunner. After getting all new ball joint, tie rods, control arms and bushings for the roadrunner I took it out for a front end alignment to a very trusted place that have aligned many cars for my family. I got it done and it drove the best it’s ever drove everything was good and drive home was just fine. I parked it in the garage and walked away and about an hour later my sister smelled smoke and she opened the door to the garage and sure enough smoke was everywhere and so she ran and got me and I saw fire from underneath the car. My dad and brother came out and got the car In neutral and shoved it out into the driveway and hosed it down. I’m still in shock. Before anyone asks me, no I don’t know what caused the fire. I’m pretty sure it’s electrical because we hosed down what was left of the wiring harness and it was hissing really loud. It’s still the original wiring. Not sure what I’m going to do except call the insurance company and have them assess the damage, they’re more than likely going to total it. It’s really not all that bad. If I where to rebuild it I would need a new interior, wiring, check brake and fuel lines, check all the rubber and I’m probably going to have to pull the motor and check it out and do all of the other little odds and ends. Any other things I should look for or inspect or do before the inspection for the insurance company?

View attachment 1666176

View attachment 1666177

View attachment 1666178
Very sorry to hear but glad no one got hurt

I agree, the car can be repaired. I would definitely try to buy it back from the insurance company. Glad to hear no one was hurt and no other property loss happened. Usually when I see one where the fire starts in the dash nine times out of ten it's the amp gauge that causes the fire. I had it happen to my 78 Little Red Express truck. Fortunately I was right there when it happened and I disconnected the battery immediately. When I pulled out the insulation behind the amp gauge, it was on fire in my hand!

Sad to see! Just don't let the insurance company take the car! When the shock wears off you'll known what to do.

Last edited:
As a retired Fire Captain with 26 years of experience, I commend your quick thinking for moving your car out of the garage. I went to many house fires that were actually started by car fires in a garage or carport. I recommend having a plan to push or tow the car as far away as possible from the house (without putting yourself in danger). Also have fire extinguisher next to the door that goes between the house and garage. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do with your car.

Also, please keep us posted on which car insurer you have and how they treat you during the process. It might make a difference to the rest of us about our insurance company renewals or type of coverage. Thank you.
Will do

This is really sad to see, Paul. To me, it looks like it started under the dash, and progressed from there. My friend almost had the same thing happen to his '62 Dart Maxie clone. He had just purchased the car, and I was helping him with clearing up some mechanical issues and detailing it. We had made new fuel lines, and replumbed them to look more original. We had removed the alternator to build lines at the fuel pump, and reinstalled it. It was getting late in the evening, and I suggested leaving it, and trying to start it the next day, out in the driveway. The next day, we pushed his car out of the garage, to start in the driveway, in case we had some fuel leaks. With my friend cranking the engine over, I was watching for a fuel leak at the pump. I noticed a wisp of smoke at the alternator wire. I looked up to tell my friend to stop cranking, and noticed fire and smoke at the firewall connector. We quickly got the battery disconnected, but the damage was done.
Closer inspection showed that fusible link wires installed by a previous owner at the firewall terminal block had burned off, protecting the underhood wiring. The wiring harness under the dash was cooked, however. FBBO member W. Hudson supplied another harness for us. There was a rats nest of accessory wiring under the dash, that I cleaned up as well. Somehow, this fire started under the dash, and was not connected to anything we were doing with fuel lines. It was an unrelated accident waiting to happen. Luckily it happened in the owner's laneway, close to tools, rather than on the highway.

Put a 7.5 amp fuse on the spade side of VR, a member recommended for safety.
fuse3.jpg

i've had two fires in my mopars , one was the insulator on the hot lead from the alt , yes that cooked the whole wire harness through that pick up , and the second was a failed fuel filter that came apart while we where driving the car , again the fire caused the electrical system to short out . yes another harness burnt up . from engine compartment to the under dash on both cars . i hope yours can be saved . i did both rewires and clean up on them both .

Sorry to hear, one of the reasons that I am in the new harness corner. Not that it couldn't also fail, but boy I have seen some really **** wiring and the people cry that they can't afford new wiring or they want to hack it themselves.
Sorry for your loss.

As soon as I get my Charger (or GTO) back home in the garage off comes the negative battery cable. Been doing this for about 40 yrs now.
Tks,
Bob32268

Auto Transport Service
Back