• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad day for the Roadrunner…

Protect the title and keep it clear, the car is repairable if they throw a fit say I’ll fix it myself and avoid the claim if you can swing it. A branded title can hurt. It stinks every which way... I know we all have insurance for this rare occasion but god they can be a pain. Just my opinion

ATTENTION EVERYONE: IMMEDIATELY CUT OFF YOUR (-) BATTERY TERMINAL CONNECTION WHEN THE CAR IS PARKED. by whatever means feasible. As another poster noted, I've been doing this to my cars as long as I remember.
... I have battery disconnect on every old car in the garage. I'm also in the habit of babysitting the car when I bring it home for a few minutes just to make sure gas and fluids are not leaking.
THIS ^^^

The bulkhead connection for the black and red wire is a huge safety concern as is the ammeter. My old harness showed signs of heat and melting presumably from high resistance in the Packard connections. Looked ok, but was easily seen once the harness was unwrapped.
20161111_093416.jpg

So I did the MAD bypass. Takes the load off of the connectors. Wires are solid through the bulkhead. Ammeter is bypassed, volt meter put in its place. Fusible links to the starting relay.
AMP-GA27 (1).jpg

That really hurts to look at, but it could have been far worse. This was my '69 road runner, and my Uncle's '69 300 convertible. Best reason for a detatched garage. You can rebuild yours.

burned 300 & runner.jpg

And I wonder how many here have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER in their classic car, handy and ready ?
I bought fire extinguishers - maybe to many. one at front n back door house, one in kitchen, garage, shop. Maybe 11 one property total

I bought fire extinguishers - maybe to many. one at front n back door house, one in kitchen, garage, shop. Maybe 11 one property total
Back in the heyday, if we were doing a job, either maintenance or performance, we would upsell an extinguisher mounted on the side console, under dash, etc. as a "cool" look, as well as it's important precaution. Yeah, got one under the glove box on my retro look car now. Others, in glove box or under seat.

Dont know how I missed this but Im sorry and that sucks. You can save it. Just breath and I hope all gos well with you insurance.

What strikes me odd about assuming electricity was the actual or sole cause is that the car was off.
No power would have been flowing.
I would think the wires would have been cooling from any problems?
I HAVE had an original meltdown of a 1973 vintage firewall bundle on my way to work.
I had driven 35 miles and was exiting the interstate when the A body died.
Just melted wires.
Of course at this point what caused the fire is academic.
But I smell gas and only then possibly a spark.

Man that sucks. I would be beside myself. Sad day for the car but thank god you got it out in time to save the rest.

What strikes me odd about assuming electricity was the actual or sole cause is that the car was off.
No power would have been flowing.
I would think the wires would have been cooling from any problems?
I HAVE had an original meltdown of a 1973 vintage firewall bundle on my way to work.
I had driven 35 miles and was exiting the interstate when the A body died.
Just melted wires.
Of course at this point what caused the fire is academic.
But I smell gas and only then possibly a spark.
Continuity from the battery thru the ammeter is always there. For example headlights and brake light work regardless of key position.

Awful sorry to see you or anyone go through that! Hopefully there’s something you can do to fix it up??

Well today was alignment day for the roadrunner. After getting all new ball joint, tie rods, control arms and bushings for the roadrunner I took it out for a front end alignment to a very trusted place that have aligned many cars for my family. I got it done and it drove the best it’s ever drove everything was good and drive home was just fine. I parked it in the garage and walked away and about an hour later my sister smelled smoke and she opened the door to the garage and sure enough smoke was everywhere and so she ran and got me and I saw fire from underneath the car. My dad and brother came out and got the car In neutral and shoved it out into the driveway and hosed it down. I’m still in shock. Before anyone asks me, no I don’t know what caused the fire. I’m pretty sure it’s electrical because we hosed down what was left of the wiring harness and it was hissing really loud. It’s still the original wiring. Not sure what I’m going to do except call the insurance company and have them assess the damage, they’re more than likely going to total it. It’s really not all that bad. If I where to rebuild it I would need a new interior, wiring, check brake and fuel lines, check all the rubber and I’m probably going to have to pull the motor and check it out and do all of the other little odds and ends. Any other things I should look for or inspect or do before the inspection for the insurance company?

View attachment 1666176

View attachment 1666177

View attachment 1666178
been down this road as well, make sure you have a TRUSTED mechanic come out and do an estimate.....Insurance will always try to screw you..$10,000 difference on

Well today was alignment day for the roadrunner. After getting all new ball joint, tie rods, control arms and bushings for the roadrunner I took it out for a front end alignment to a very trusted place that have aligned many cars for my family. I got it done and it drove the best it’s ever drove everything was good and drive home was just fine. I parked it in the garage and walked away and about an hour later my sister smelled smoke and she opened the door to the garage and sure enough smoke was everywhere and so she ran and got me and I saw fire from underneath the car. My dad and brother came out and got the car In neutral and shoved it out into the driveway and hosed it down. I’m still in shock. Before anyone asks me, no I don’t know what caused the fire. I’m pretty sure it’s electrical because we hosed down what was left of the wiring harness and it was hissing really loud. It’s still the original wiring. Not sure what I’m going to do except call the insurance company and have them assess the damage, they’re more than likely going to total it. It’s really not all that bad. If I where to rebuild it I would need a new interior, wiring, check brake and fuel lines, check all the rubber and I’m probably going to have to pull the motor and check it out and do all of the other little odds and ends. Any other things I should look for or inspect or do before the inspection for the insurance company?

View attachment 1666176

View attachment 1666177

View attachment 1666178
Wow! That is a sad day!

View attachment 1666176

View attachment 1666177

View attachment 1666178
That is just too horrible for words. I'm very sorry it happened, but I hope you can salvage the car. It did convince me to go out this morning and buy a battery cutoff for my '73 MG Midget. I already had one on the '66 Austin-Healey that I won as a door prize at a show many years ago (the battery cutoff, not the car).
My '69 Charger is finishing its restoration, and you can bet that it will also get a battery cutoff when it returns to my garage.

As a retired Fire Captain with 26 years of experience, I commend your quick thinking for moving your car out of the garage. I went to many house fires that were actually started by car fires in a garage or carport. I recommend having a plan to push or tow the car as far away as possible from the house (without putting yourself in danger). Also have fire extinguisher next to the door that goes between the house and garage. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do with your car.

Also, please keep us posted on which car insurer you have and how they treat you during the process. It might make a difference to the rest of us about our insurance company renewals or type of coverage. Thank you.
That really hurts to look at, but it could have been far worse. This was my '69 road runner, and my Uncle's '69 300 convertible. Best reason for a detatched garage. You can rebuild yours.

View attachment 1666791
Just for this reason I've never had an attached garage! I know soooo many that have had car fires where it burned down the house too. Anyways, I just disconnected the battery on my 64 Dart after letting it sit for a month along with the 96 Dakota and 97 diesel. Oh man....to lose a car or a house due to a car fire has to suck. I'm so sorry for you having to deal with this!!

Continuity from the battery thru the ammeter is always there. For example headlights and brake light work regardless of key position.

Of course that wiring would have to short to ground and I would be sceptical of that happen in a wire bundle.
Chafing somewhere?
Not that many places it could the way it's built by Chrysler, but possible I suppose.
The other thing would require the circuit to be active and overloaded.
(Lights left on the the daytime??)
That usually just melts wire(s).
So I'm out of ideas.

Auto Transport Service
Back