• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad day for the Roadrunner…

Dude, so sorry this happened to you. It looks very salvageable and I hope you go that route. That was always my greatest fear. Mine is all torn apart right now, but I already have all new harnesses for when I put the car back together. I will take Paul73's advice and put a battery kill switch on too. If you decide to rebuild, list the parts you need. If I can help, I will.

Suspicious is the ammeter and bulkhead connectors. Short to ground usually opens a fuse or fusible link. I've seen ammeter connectors get white hot and just at the threshold of smoldering. A resistance to gnd got really hot for a long time and started the fire.

I happen to be going though one of these very cars. And it's the bulkhead feed that seems to give the most hot wire problems for what ever reason.
This might be a good time to inform that there seem to be two firewall connectors available.
You don't want this one.
Screenshot_20240525_211130_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240525_211908_Gallery.jpg

You want this one from one of our mopar specialty vendors.
Also note there are several types of 56 connectors available.
The plated is a "GM" style.
Screenshot_20240525_210729_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240525_211825_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240525_212803_Gallery.jpg

I AM adding fuses to the relay mod.
Prints not finalized

Screenshot_20240525_211056_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240525_212018_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240525_210603_Gallery.jpg

A simplified breakdown of the stop/turn/flasher showing amp meter.
(To be used in trouble shooting)

Screenshot_20240525_210827_Gallery.jpg

I avoided an electrical disaster with the 72 Challenger I'm working on. I found a terminal melted on the bulkhead connector. I further investigated and found the red and black leads that power the big load had melted together had melted a green accessory load. I'm doing the ammeter bypass and have installed a voltage meter instead. I now disconnect the batteries on my old Mopars when not in use. A battery cutoff switch would be easier. You can see the overheated bulkhead connetion box in first photo and I replaced it.
Terry W.

Bulkhead Connector 1.jpg

Bulkhead Connector 2.jpg

Bulkhead Connector 3.jpg

Boeing used to build a passenger plane that was boiler plate.
It could fly upside down. One did and landed to tell about it.
But that's another story.

I think any postmortem would remain a riddle wrapped in mystery inside of an enig-gine compartment.
Reminds me of when we had a JT8D engine that fell off a 727 in 1990.
The engine landed in a cow pasture in Florida.
No fatalities.
So it wasn't that big of a deal........ in the grand scheme of things.
There was of lots of speculation and buzz when we first heard about it.
We had this power plant engineer that chain smoked outside the hanger.
Before the engine showed up I asked him what happened.
To which he said "Everything is BS until I see it."

I happen to be going though one of these very cars. And it's the bulkhead feed that seems to give the most hot wire problems for what ever reason.
This might be a good time to inform that there seem to be two firewall connectors available.
You don't want this one.
View attachment 1668762View attachment 1668766

You want this one from one of our mopar specialty vendors.
Also note there are several types of 56 connectors available.
The plated is a "GM" style.
View attachment 1668764

View attachment 1668769

View attachment 1668771
I AM adding fuses to the relay mod.
Prints not finalized

View attachment 1668778
View attachment 1668767
View attachment 1668775
A simplified breakdown of the stop/turn/flasher showing amp meter.
(To be used in trouble shooting)

View attachment 1668765
Hope you or mods make this a sticky along with the Mopar bulk head

I avoided an electrical disaster with the 72 Challenger I'm working on. I found a terminal melted on the bulkhead connector. I further investigated and found the red and black leads that power the big load had melted together had melted a green accessory load. I'm doing the ammeter bypass and have installed a voltage meter instead. I now disconnect the batteries on my old Mopars when not in use. A battery cutoff switch would be easier. You can see the overheated bulkhead connetion box in first photo and I replaced it.
Terry W.

View attachment 1668903

View attachment 1668904

View attachment 1668905
Great catch

No, I’m going to rebuild the car.
Glad to hear that!! And please report anyone that asks for parts in any forums except for the Classified Section. We battle this a lot and well, it's a hassle and we appreciate all the help we can get. I also feel what JDAVIS asked was in bad taste......

Auto Transport Service
Back